Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gauges installed and plug installed

rooster57

This is the way i did mine for reference if its helps anyone Great. On the first pic i pulled the molex 9 pin plug down so it could be seen for the pic only.

Thats one fine installation, I've worked aircraft that don't look near that nice. I just installed mine, and they don't look near that good. I now have some thing to strive for. :rofl:

Way to go Rooster! I wish that more guys would take the time to do neat wiring. Neatness DOES count!

Jim

Rooster? How much did the little people charge to hook that up!?:rofl: VERY clean work.

Rooster,

Looks great. Are you using a wiring kit or creating on your own?

I built my own harness i do a lot of this type stuff everyday so i have lots of wiring supplies around. Thanks for the compliment . I have got so many good ideas here i hope mine can help others with their projects.

The first thing i did was to make two 1 inch by 3 inch plates i think 1/8 thick and machined two slots in it to match the windshield stantion bolt pattern. one for each side and bolt them on the inside. Then i used 1/2 sq tubing and cut a length about 6 inches longer than the distance between the two plates one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. then i used my 1/2 conduit bender and put about a 3 inch offset bend in each end then cur to fit between plates. I think i cut it so it would wedge between the plates so i could tac it on to each plate. after tacing i removed the bolts and welded. Then i installed the column and attached a small bunge strap and set in the drivers area and measured the drop distance. Then i machined the drop and drilled and tapped the top of it 1/4 28. I cut a 4 inch by 1 1/4 inch also 1/8 plate and bolted the plate on top of the column drop offset to the rear ,installed the column made adjustments side to side clamped the plate to the sq tubing and removed the column and drop . Removed the 1/2 sq tubing that spanned the under dash area and welded the plate on and primed and painted. Email me if u need a pic i think i may have a couple if needed.

Tim

rooster57 said:
The first thing i did was to make two 1 inch by 3 inch plates i think 1/8 thick and machined two slots in it to match the windshield stantion bolt pattern. one for each side and bolt them on the inside. Then i used 1/2 sq tubing and cut a length about 6 inches longer than the distance between the two plates one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. then i used my 1/2 conduit bender and put about a 3 inch offset bend in each end then cur to fit between plates. I think i cut it so it would wedge between the plates so i could tac it on to each plate. after tacing i removed the bolts and welded. Then i installed the column and attached a small bunge strap and set in the drivers area and measured the drop distance. Then i machined the drop and drilled and tapped the top of it 1/4 28. I cut a 4 inch by 1 1/4 inch also 1/8 plate and bolted the plate on top of the column drop offset to the rear ,installed the column made adjustments side to side clamped the plate to the sq tubing and removed the column and drop . Removed the 1/2 sq tubing that spanned the under dash area and welded the plate on and primed and painted. Email me if u need a pic i think i may have a couple if needed.

Tim

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to come up with a good way to make a good mounting point for a column support. Could you send the pics to jdietzel@comcast.net?

Thanks!

rooster57 said:
I built my own harness i do a lot of this type stuff everyday so i have lots of wiring supplies around. Thanks for the compliment . I have got so many good ideas here i hope mine can help others with their projects.

Mr. Rooster,

That is really a nice job of wiring. It reminds me of my Dad and his wiring skills. He was a Toll Test Board Supervisor for Bell South for 32 years. I remember walking between ceiling high racks of relays and switches with miles if wiring all aligned and laced together with a wax coated string. Kind of like walking through a giant pin ball machine. Every wire was layed out to perfection and soldered in place. No color coded or marked wire, just plain all the same. Made it easy to trace a "bad" one. Things have changed over the years but quality never should. You Sir have demostrated Quality. Thanks.

George

Yep, if it looks right, chances are it is right. And something to take satisfaction in - a useful job well done.

BYW have you guys seen the Raychem crimp fittings with the resin heat shrink skirts/ferrules? Seals up the cable end so moisture and Mr Battery's foul breath doesn't corrode the conductors.

You did a really nice job on that wiring. I see all the good stuff like relays and lots of circuit protection. People get so frightened by wiring, but if you take your time and use good components you won't probably ever have to get back in it to find a problem.

Don

You bet and welcome to it , have fun. If you can borrow a 1/2 conduit bender that worked well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back