Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gear vendor

fletcherson

hey guys, been busy with other issues but I recently procured a new to me 84 f350 dually from AZ and it has a gear vendor overdrive unit in it. I've had limited exposure to them, a friend put one in his blown road runner to make it somewhat freeway able, but this thing is slick. It is electric, has a control box that will automatically engage, disengage or it can be done manually via the flip of a switch. They are in the three grand price range, but really reduced the rpm at cruising speeds and I recently hauled a one ton truck with it on my heavy trailer, and the added in between gears that it affords were useful. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a food for thought thing. The unit basically replaces the tail housing on the transmission. I know that many buckets have limited space there, but it may be doable. If I get a chance, I'll snap a picture and post it...if I can figure out how to, lol...

I don't think it would fit unless you have a super stretched body. My driveshaft might be 14" at most and you still need a driveshaft after the GV unit. The other problem will be the shear size of it in an area where there is virtually no space. It will be interesting to see how you make out.

The thing that I like about it is first, it's behind a manual trans and I prefer that to automatic personally, second, its stronger than a converter lock up od imho due to its design, it's a planetary gear, not a clutch. It also allows inbetween extra gears that a typical od doesn't. A modern od trans would be easier and maybe cheaper for a bucket. I have a t56 6 speed on stand by for an upcoming build, but what's to stop someone from putting one on a od trans to compensate for say a 456 gear? Anyways, I just found it to be a worthy add on, especially for an older work horse that may benefit from a lower rpm on the road. As for the added length, it doesn't add much, but it may be a challenge in a bucket. I think the outside diameter would be more challenging than the length due to the limited real estate in a bucket. My bucket only has about a foot of drive shaft. Thought it was a cool item. Sorry about not posting any pics, been busy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back