Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gearing up to start a 10 year dream

Matt167

I've wanted a T bucket for a long time and been on other hotrod forums for a long time. Dabbled with plenty of other cars. Never got past the wanting phase of a T because the initial cost and involvement always turned me away. I've even scratch built a cab that was intended for a T frame but a lot got ' lost in translation ' and never finished... So here I am, finally figuring out that I have to just do it or I never will..

I will be getting a '23 kit from Spirit without an insert or a floor. Placing an order tomorrow that I have discussed and priced with them. Just enough to make a basic build done with what I can afford. It may or may not run a Toyota 1UZ-FE V8, which is a 4.0L all aluminum 32v DOHC, EFI smooth running drivers engine more or less. I have a 350 on hand however so I'm not really sure

Will it be an automatic or standard trans ???

MansBrain.gif

Welcome to the forum. Please start a build thread so we can watch your progress!

Would like a manual since pretty much anything I own is but it may end up automatic. If I use the 1UZ it almost has to be manual because the automatics do not have a slip yoke and I don't see fitting a 2 piece driveshaft with a slip joint and a carrier bearing in a T bucket

I daily drive a JDM Suzuki Carry Kei truck which is probably tighter to drive than a T bucket and about as light as a T bucket but it's 660cc engine only makes 45hp so it's not quite as fast

I do plan to start a build thread

Welcome from St Louis! I would vote for the 350 over the Toy, just because of parts availability and vast knowledge of how to fix 'em and hot rod 'em on the part of people like those on this forum. But . . . that's your call, and we'll support your decision 100%! The Toyota would certainly be different!

PS - I am using a Spirit body and frame, both modified to suit my taste. Check my build pics in the Photo Album section.

Yeah it'll probably end up Chevy. I have a '72 truck 350 long block and enough parts to make a runner. Providing it isn't seized from sitting.. Either a TH350 or something like a T-5 will suit me

Welcome from Ontario Canada.
And I would just add that an old school 350 carb engine might save you a world of nightmares compared to a newer engine with a computer and sensors everywhere.
Tuned properly a carbureted engine can give you very good MPG.

The one reason that I was even considering the Toyota 1UZ is it generates 250hp/260 ft/lbs, 6 bolt mains and forged internals along with being all aluminum 364 lbs, and all of the sensors and even the starter are under the valley/ under covers with 1 loom running to the ECU making it a very clean install. But without the factory automatic transmission being able to be used it's just a costly venture ontop of exhaust. I'll get a lot farther with the SBC, and I actually have that.. I have an old Weiand single plane in storage, a good 750 cfm Carter is around here somewhere and I'll have to come up with a water pump and accessories but I'll probably just rob a Vortec truck serpentine system since it can be had cheap

Serpentine Chevy's use a reverse rotation water pump but the flow is the same direction. I'll just order a pump for the year truck I remove the system from.. I may just get a low mount alternator bracket though. That's all that's really needed I think.

I'm excited to start and post updates and pictures, but I know I'm going to need help too... The Spirit dash can fit a '32 gauge cluster right?

Cool. That's what I thought, and the look I'm going for. Probably put some SW Wings gauges in since I've always liked them

Anybody know, when using a Spirit frame with 350/350 engine/ trans mounts. Will a 3spd/ 4spd Saginaw fit on the crossmember? I have a GM aluminum bell and I'm thinking a 3/4spd Saginaw will work good. I also dug out an S10 driveshaft from the parts bin which came from a RCSB truck and is one piece so it should be able to be cut down

My only concern would be pedal placement with a standard body. Gonna be tight with 3 pedals!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back