Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Getting VIN and Registration in CA

Dan the Man

Has anyone in CA built a new bucket from scratch? How do I go about getting a VIN assigned and then registering it in CA without smog??

I'm in the same boat and been dreading this for years, but here's my understanding of the process.

How to Register a Specially Constructed Vehicle Checklist
How to Register a Specially Constructed Vehicle Checklist

And some other stuff from the net.

How to Register a Smog Exempt Hot Rod in California

First off don’t believe anything anyone says about their terrible registration ordeal it is possible to register smog exempt with the correct information and paperwork In California. There is a little known law that allows 500 vehicles every year to be registered smog exempt and use any year motor in the vehicle. Every year starting January 1st California allows 500 vehicles to be registered smog exempt if you have requested from the DMV a S.B. #100. If you call the Bureau of Automotive Repairs at 916-657-6560 and ask them if there is any special construction SB 100 numbers left for the year, if they say yes you’re in good shape. They won’t tell you how many numbers are left for the year just if there are some still available.

This is where the work starts you’ll need the following forms

1. Form #124 Applications for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number

2. Form #343 Applications for Title Or Registration

3. Form # 5036 Statement of Construction

4. Form #256 Statements of Facts

Fill out all forms then go to DMV with forms and receipts where you purchased everything for the car tell them you want to register this car as a special construction vehicle and you need them to call Sacramento at this number 916-657-6560 and request a Special Construction SB 100 number’ they’ll probably tell you there are no more SB 100 left for the year but you’ll know that’s not true you have already confirmed there are numbers left. Let them know you have contacted The Bureau of Automotive Repairs and confirmed numbers are still remaining. This will take a while for them to call be patient they probably have never done this.

After you pay the DMV some money based on the receipts given to them for the cost of vehicle parts they will give you a SB100 Number that’s your ticket to a Smog Exempt Vehicle. They will tell you what S.B 100 number you have but you will receive official notice from the DMV in about 2 weeks via U.S. Mail. With this SB 100 you will be able to choose the year model you want to register your vehicle as.

Now call your local Highway Patrol office and ask for an appointment for assigned vin number. My car wasn’t completed it wasn’t even wired to run yet the CHP did not care, let them know how far you are in your construction. At that point they attached a vin number to my vehicle

When finished with CHP and you have a vin number. Next is Bureau of Automotive Repair Referee Station. He’ll need your car for a visual inspection checking only for a PCV to carburetor valve and positive ventilation from a valve cover to the air cleaner, my car was never started up at this check. When you pass the Bureau of automotive repair the last check is lights and brakes at an official inspection station

Each place you visit will give you paperwork take all this back to the DMV.

I've known a few people who did as @choppinczech described. It used to be that the numbers were all issued within the first few days of January, but over the years fewer and fewer people have been taking advantage of this and last I checked (couple of years ago) there were numbers still available into the spring.

Thank you very much for the information. I will have to add the PVC valve but otherwise I am good. I already got a Brake and Lamp Inspection.

I already got a Brake and Lamp Inspection.

What was involved with your Brake and Lamp Inspection? Did you take your car to a local mechanic?

We loaded it on a trailer and took it to a Certified Inspection shop. They check to make sure all lights work properly and visually inspect the brakes. Then they made me do a physical stop test by taking the car to 20 mph and then stopping in less than 20 feet.

If I remember correct, DMV can also issue a vin number. And if you get a good person (that is not having a bad day) at DMV they will help you !! Also, go to Mariposa DMV

DMV can only issue VINs for trailers. CHP does them for vehicles.

The key I found out is to go to DMV and ask for them to issue a Certificate of Sequence. This starts the whole process. At that time they will also give you a bunch of forms to fill out. Then you can go to CHP for a VIN assignment, Get a Brake and Lamp Inspection, and then make an appointment to go to the BAR Smog Referee and hopefully get and exemption. Then go back to DMV and ask them to assign you a SB 100 number that will allow the car to be smog exempt.

It sounds rather specific except for the part where the inspector decides what year the vehicle will be. You hope you get a person that is experienced. Otherwise you’re toast!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back