Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Good Day Eh.

Intrepid

Thought I would join up..allot of good info here.
The classic old story.
I have a bucket my dad and I started 20 years ago that got put on the back burner after he passed.
Now its time to get it built and enjoy it while I am still here.

Welcome from Oklahoma. Yes, time to get back to work. Your lucky to still have that project still around.
Lee

Thought I would join up..allot of good info here.
The classic old story.
I have a bucket my dad and I started 20 years ago that got put on the back burner after he passed.
Now its time to get it built and enjoy it while I am still here.

Good day eh? Are you from down under? Welcome......From Wisconsin

I should note, my Dad and I didn't make the frame and chassis.
It sits pretty close to how it was bought.
I do know that the chassis was made and welded by a local guy that made frames for the local oval track guys here in town.
And the bucket was made by Norglass from Stoney Creek, Ontario (no longer in business)
So the whole thing is Canadian, from the 283 casting numbers and I think even the old chev van front axle is too lol

Ya it is a pretty cool ride.
I just didn't want any misconceptions on my skills, I can weld (not pretty) but until recently I didn't know anything about Ackerman geometry, or side steering, standard, and bump steer effects.
Once I can post some pics up I think you guys will agree that the guy that put this together did know what he was doing.

I just didn't want any misconceptions on my skills, I can weld (not pretty) but until recently I didn't know anything about Ackerman geometry, or side steering, standard, and bump steer effects.
Once I can post some pics up I think you guys will agree that the guy that put this together did know what he was doing.
This is a good place to learn stuff that is new to you. I have worked on and built cars for years, but have learned a lot from the guys on here.

I have worked on cars since I was 12, but never built one from scratch.
If I see a fender I have a good chance at telling what its off of, but a steering not so much.
It has been a learning experience.
I am glad these forums are around now, back when my Dad and I started this every thing was word of mouth.
I remember asking guys to come over to the garage to have a look at the rear axle to see if anyone know what it was.. 8 guys said it was a ford 9"
back then it was about who ya knew.
Now I know its a an 8"
I am better with Chev parts but that's a family thing I guess.

I have worked on cars since I was 12, but never built one from scratch.
If I see a fender I have a good chance at telling what its off of, but a steering not so much.
It has been a learning experience.
I am glad these forums are around now, back when my Dad and I started this every thing was word of mouth.
I remember asking guys to come over to the garage to have a look at the rear axle to see if anyone know what it was.. 8 guys said it was a ford 9"
back then it was about who ya knew.
Now I know its a an 8"
I am better with Chev parts but that's a family thing I guess.
I have always worked on or been around cars and construction work. My dad owned a body shop and was buying and rehabbing houses when I was little, so I literally grew in a shop. I owned and ran a full service shop for several years and always fixed and tinkered. I have rebuilt many, done several frame off restorations, etc..but never built from scratch or a kit car. The steering was an issue for me, but there is good info on here and a fair variety of parts and mounting options. It helped me. I will watch your build as it unfolds.

Get on photo bucket or something similar to post pics. Eager to see....I too re-did a poor project. Not sure where the 10 post requirement came to post pics, but you definitely need to post from a photo sharing site.

Welcome, Intrepid, from MSP, MN. I see we are at the same latitude...does that mean the same weather? You will find great folks here with a wealth of knowledge. And our sponsors (RPM, CCR, Spirit, Wintec) can find or make most anything you need.
You can put pics on a sharing site (I use Google+) and just post a link to them.

Thanks Guys but I have my own server.
I started a thread over in the Project build section .. I have posted some pics there.
I have read almost all of the Project build threads, and I have to say Potvin that is impressive.
I originally wanted to put my rad in the back of the box as well and mount the alternator where the water pump is just facing the other direction.
I am an electrical guy buy trade .. www.jeffw.ca and I think I will post the drawings I have done for the bucket.
The drawings are not something would normally find in a car due to the fact I work mostly on large corporate and private Jets.
But they may help some, or maybe even inspire some.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back