Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

GPS Tracker Experiences

Indycars

I've been doing my research on this subject since I will be needing one for my trailer
when it arrives in a few months. I wanted something that had; long battery life, Geo-fencing
or motion sensing, reasonably fast updates and no contracts.

I'm thinking the Oyster 2 best fits my requirements at this time, but I have not decided
yet so comments and experiences are very welcome. I'm sure ONE size does not fit all !

The Oyster 2 is out of stock right now, but when I contacted LoneStarTracking.com, they
were hoping by the end of this month they would have more. Digital Matters is the
manufacture and Lone Star is the distributor for the US.

Oyster2 Waterproof Battery Powered GPS Tracking Device (2020 version)

It has great documentation by the manufacture:

Oyster & Oyster 2 - FAQs
Oyster 2 - Getting Started

upload_2020-2-10_16-46-1.png

Below are the trackers that I checked out, do you know of others ???

Asset Tracker Trailer
Linxup | GPS Tracking for Vehicles, Fleets & Assets
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-GPS/Linxup/300-AT3.html
Blog - LoJack
GPS Tracking Devices | Real-Time Personal & Car GPS Trackers
Spot Trace Anti-theft Tracking Device
Trak4 12v GPS Tracker with Wiring Harness

A friend of mine has been coaching me on using an old cell phone for theft recovery. He is telling me to use a phone app called "Lockout". Use the trailer battery to keep the phone charged and I should be all set.

My honey-do is is quite long right now, so I probably will not get to try this out for awhile. Assuming it works okay, I can skip the monthly fee and since I have several out of service cell phones, no initial cost!

What's not to like?

Will your insurance company give a discount for having this service added to the trailer? That might offset some of the "Yearly Subscription Fee" of the Oyster unit.

A friend of mine has been coaching me on using an old cell phone for theft recovery. He is telling me to use a phone app called "Lockout". Use the trailer battery to keep the phone charged and I should be all set.
It will be interesting to see how this works without a service plan?

I checked with my regular auto insurance company Amica and they do not give a discount. My TBucket
insurance thru Hagerty has trailer insurance, but I don't know about them yet.

I know nothing of these, but I did have my custom trailer stolen. And once gone; well, the cops didn't even want to take a report. Maybe trailer insurance is a deal.

I know nothing of these, but I did have my custom trailer stolen. And once gone; well, the cops didn't even want to take a report. Maybe trailer insurance is a deal.

You didn't have insurance on the trailer?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back