Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Grinding disc recycling

Youngster

VIP
VIP Member
I had to cut some grinding discs today. I thought someone might like to see how I get free discs. I have the welding shop where I used to work save 7", 50 grit used discs for me ( they're free). Thank goodness they don't know how to use a grinder. When I get the discs the outer 1/2" to 3/4" is used. I cut off about 5/8" all the way around and have a nearly new disc.

This is the fixture I made;
012.jpg

The saw is one of the Northern hydraulics cheapo units. When I get a blade with teeth missing or if it loses it's set, I save it for this job. The plate is 3/16" with a 3/4" piece of 7/8" DOM mounted to it. The center of the DOM is 90 degrees from the front of the blade and 2 7/8" off of it.

The blade will last longer if you cut the disc from the back side. I trim straight across 5/8" at the deepest part of the cut. This allows the disc to slide over the DOM. Then it's a simple mater of turning the disc by hand until you cut all the way around.

010.jpg

I should add when not cutting discs, I use the DOM as a stop or dead post on my drill table.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back