Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Guy's Restoration after 10 years sitting

No names anywhere i haven't measured them i just got a set of new studs in haven't opened the package i hope they fit

The studs are probably 1/2”. That means there’s no way to center the drum on the spindle with 5/8” holes in the drum. That would give you very poor braking and a quite a bit of instability in the front end. You really need to fix this setup to keep you and the bucket safe.

new studs wrong again .619 knurl , ask for .627 ordered them twice same place , i should say they sent a second set wrong again

The studs are probably 1/2”. That means there’s no way to center the drum on the spindle with 5/8” holes in the drum. That would give you very poor braking and a quite a bit of instability in the front end. You really need to fix this setup to keep you and the bucket safe.
the old ones fit perfectly , but was the only wheel Left hand thread
1/2" x 20 .627

Surfing around the web I think I saw a similar setup on an old Ford with banjo style rear end. I may be wrong . . . :thumbsdown:

Reactions: Guy
The hub looks like a trailer hub. How does the drum center on to the hub? Is there a shoulder machined on the back side of the hub? I would be very skeptical of that set up. Safety matters. Brakes aren't that expensive for these cars if you had or chose to update. I did on mine rather than taking a chance on questionable outdated brakes... I love going fast, but stopping is good! Lol.

Mopars used left and right hand lug nuts. Don't know if all or some of them did.
Guy, I didn't understand your latest post.
More pictures would help.

Mopars used left and right hand lug nuts. Don't know if all or some of them did.
Guy, I didn't understand your latest post.
More pictures would help.
I have been told Mopar by several , but going to a machine shop , i have a .627 hole in the hub and have been told to go .0005 over so i need a knurl at .632 not finding that anywhere , i may have to put the Left hand studs back in but i don't want to

The hub looks like a trailer hub. How does the drum center on to the hub? Is there a shoulder machined on the back side of the hub? I would be very skeptical of that set up. Safety matters. Brakes aren't that expensive for these cars if you had or chose to update. I did on mine rather than taking a chance on questionable outdated brakes... I love going fast, but stopping is good! Lol.
On second look, they look like the drums are fastened to the hubs in a similar fashion to truck hubs. If you knew what they came from, studs should be available. I wouldn’t worry about using left hand studs if that’s the only holdup. Mopar used them up through the sixties, others too, but I can’t remember all. Napa or Car Quest can get many various studs, you might also try truck service shops.

So you are going to put in 5/8 diameter studs? I think you mean .005. .0005 is a half a thousandth. What size are the holes in the hub? If you have to redrill them you’ll have to be pretty accurate if the studs are what’s keeping the brake drum aligned and centered.

On second look, they look like the drums are fastened to the hubs in a similar fashion to truck hubs. If you knew what they came from, studs should be available. I wouldn’t worry about using left hand studs if that’s the only holdup. Mopar used them up through the sixties, others too, but I can’t remember all. Napa or Car Quest can get many various studs, you might also try truck service shops.
Already spent several trips to NAPA, O Rileys, Autozone going to a machine shop this week see what they have to say , they mention going a little larger and drill hub .0005 under knurl

After talking with a few friends that have done Machine work and have made parts for cars they both think this wheel has been drilled out oversized, and that's why nothing around that year will fit it so now we are going just a little more over this size and installing new studs , my breaks are all set and installing radiator while waiting for the studs to come in. Should have a start up very soon .

Good luck. Like someone said” being able to stop is a little important”. How are you going to drill the holes? Do you have a milling machine? Is there a way to register the drums on the inside surface of the hubs?

I think we’re not trying to be critical of what you are doing. The key is safety. You want to be safe.

Reactions: Guy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back