Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ham Radio

Rip VW

As some of you know I been working on getting my Amateur Radio Operators (Ham) License. I would like to announce I completed testing on Both Elements to get my Official certificate from the FCC. Once the paperwork clears the FCC offices I will be awarded my real world call sign. I expect the process to take about 10 days, then I can go cause interference to my neighbors electronic appliances. Ha Ha Ha Ha.. I can finally get back and devote some more time to getting the steering finished on the T.. :cool:

Been a long time since I had an interest in Ham radio, no doubt much has had to change to keep the hobby from dying entirely. Back in my youth, when I was first enamored with Amateur radio, you started with a Novice license, (good for a year and non-renewable) and the next useful one up was General, which was renewable for life and required a really major investment of study time, and if you were an ultimate nerd, you could go for the Advanced Class license.

Each one required more and more Morse Code proficiency, (about 7 wpm for Novice and I think 13 for General) which was probably the Achilles heel for most of us. I could pass the General written exam, but couldn't even pass the Novice Code test.

I heartily congratulate you on your accomplishment and perseverance.

As some of you know I been working on getting my Amateur Radio Operators (Ham) License. I would like to announce I completed testing on Both Elements to get my Official certificate from the FCC. Once the paperwork clears the FCC offices I will be awarded my real world call sign. I expect the process to take about 10 days, then I can go cause interference to my neighbors electronic appliances. Ha Ha Ha Ha.. I can finally get back and devote some more time to getting the steering finished on the T.. :cool:
Congratulations! I regret not doing it myself. When I studied electronics, our rf instructor offered extra credit to anyone who completed the course. I had too much on my plate at the time. Enjoy!

Yes I can make contacts all over the world when conditions are right. Back in 78 I practiced code and passed my novice test. but just couldn't get profecient enough to pass the General Class test. Now days there are 3 classes of license, Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. Thank god they finally dropped the code test a few years ago so no dit dah required. The test isn't that hard just memorizing the questions and answers and some real basic electronics like series and parallel circuits and Ohms Law. The rest is rules and regulations and frequency knowledge. I have had ham radios for years and occasionally used a friends license. I used his license about a month ago and made contact with a gent in Barcelona Spain.. It is a great way to waste a cod rainy winter day or summer day too. haha

When I got my novice in 78 my electronics instructor was teaching the novice and general class license but the code was what eluded me so I never took it any farther till now. The test I just took was pretty easy to get through and my background in Electronics and radios made it a lot easier to understand the theory I had to do. So now I wait till they send me my numbers and then talk talk and talk..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back