Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Has anyone used an Underdash Master Cylinder set up?

clamper

I have a Corvair master cylinder now but have a couple of problems with it, 1. it is a single reservior system 2. it is difficult to service. I have seen a couple of different systems that mount the master cyl. at a 90 degree angle. This would allow for a updated dual reservior and because I have a original steel body with a vent in the center of the cowl, servicing would be very easy. If anyone has any information, I would apprciate it.

I have a Corvair master cylinder now but have a couple of problems with it, 1. it is a single reservior system 2. it is difficult to service. I have seen a couple of different systems that mount the master cyl. at a 90 degree angle. This would allow for a updated dual reservior and because I have a original steel body with a vent in the center of the cowl, servicing would be very easy. If anyone has any information, I would apprciate it.

I have one in my '27. Not sure how well it would work in an earlier T as it is a "reversed" M/C setup not a right angle one. It was made by a shop here locally and we modified it from there for my application. The M/C is for a ranger with non-power disc/drum setup. I'll admit it's not easy to fill when bleeding brakes, but its worth it.

One thing to note. You need a strong support to mount this to. I have a steel frame on the interior side of the firewall, that is plated and has stud for this to mount to. There is no flex. I'd guess you would need something similar. Here is a shot of it on the bench in mockup:

Bens2754.jpg

and here is what you see in the car:

DSCF1648.jpg

Ben,
Thanks for the pic's. My T is a "26" so I believe your system would work for me. How do you like the pedal coming below the steering column? I was thinking how strong the mounting surface was going to have too be. I'm going to be changing the wood firewall to a metal one but now I'm going to be looking at a thicker gauge.

Ben,
Thanks for the pic's. My T is a "26" so I believe your system would work for me. How do you like the pedal coming below the steering column? I was thinking how strong the mounting surface was going to have too be. I'm going to be changing the wood firewall to a metal one but now I'm going to be looking at a thicker gauge.

The pedal location is fine. I had to offset the pedal arm to clear the column, but since the column is up high, there is not issue with feet hitting it. I like it this way as it is more comfortable and has more clearance than one up from the floor.

Not sure where you can get one like this. The guy who made this one one made about three total and then got out of the Hot Rod business. He now co-owns an ACE hardware. Kugel has them but are a bit pricey. I thought about making a good drawing of this one for future, but never got around to it.

Here is a pic of the firewall reinforcement and the mounting:

Bens2775.jpg

A couple thoughts come to mind here. Maybe a remote resorvour for the master cylinder located under the cowl gas door on a '26-7? I really like the electric stop light switch incorporated in the mount. Way better than the hydro pressure type switch.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back