Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

OK, then. I’m still confused! But that’s alright. I’m normally confused.
Nesh, my T-brother, I didn't mean to imply you were somehow lacking. Indy, ORF and I are all on the spectrum too. We take pride in our, er, unique personalities. I myself detest, despise and denigrate normal non-buckethead commoners. A pox on their houses! Get your torches and pitchforks and join us in our quest for the Holy Grail! ...well...maybe this thread is getting a bit odd...

I thought all bucketheads were a little odd! Does it make sense to drive a car with our power to weight ratio? And then want more power? I think not! Been loving t buckets for 52 years!

I got it. You’re right. You have to be a bit weird to have a bucket and be on this site. I’m good with all of it.

Ohhh . . . I think a little light bulb just went on. You mean all those looks I get when I'm out in my bucket aren't necessarily looks of admiration??? :rolleyes:

first cruise-in.jpg

I hate to break up the fun when PotvinGuy was on a roll, but here are the headers with
the support that GP recommends to keep the mockup from getting tweaked in shipment.
The collectors are made of aluminum so they ship 2 steel plates that can be screwed to
the final collector and then the support is welded to that plate and the header flange.

GP sent about 100 self-tapping screws, I bought another 100 and only had 7 left. I put 3
screws in every joint. GP sent 16 elbows and I used 28. They don't ship the straight PVC
since it much cheaper to buy it locally. I used 16 feet, when I count all the scrap I created
during the mockup process.

FP04_HeaderSupportReadyToShip_01763.jpg
FP04_HeaderSupportReadyToShip_01769.jpg

Tomorrow I take them to the UPS store. I'm afraid to see what they charge to box them. I'm debating
whether it would be worth trying to buy heavy cardboard and building my own box, but for a one
time event it might be better to bite the bullet.

If you build a crate they can ship it back to you undamaged. I can help you build a wood crate if you want to go that way.
Let me see what UPS quotes me to box it up. One thing we have to keep in mind is the
header extension will be about 20 inches long, which is not part of the mockup.

Wish you lived next door, this would be so much easier for both of our projects !!! Hey
the house next door is available !!! The assholes were evicted finally and they are fixing
up the interior now.

The header mockups are on their way back to GP Headers. The cost, was $35 to box and
$110 to ship. That includes $500 of insurance.

So nice when arsehole tennant's are evicted ( or leave) and some peace reigns in the neighbourhood!
I own the neighboring houses... yea, for the reasons expressed. I have had a few good neighbors over the years but far more jerks. Sometimes a tall fence isn’t adequate!

I need to make a template or gasket of the exhaust ports so GP Headers can duplicate the
same shape in the header flange. I ordered some gaskets that were small enough when you
consider the L X W, but the corners in the head caught me out with their large radius. The
ports in hot rod lingo are called "D" shaped ports (See 3rd photo below).

FP01_ExhaustGasketRestingOnHooks_01778.jpg

FP01_ExhaustGasketCenteredOnPort_01777.jpg

I used these to locate the exhaust port bolt holes.

FP02_CopperGasket_01786.jpg

Today I went to our local Metal Supermarket that sells in small quantities, cut to your
specs. For what I wanted, 1/8" x 2" x 60" C110 Copper, it would be $150 since it would
have to be shipped in from Canada. But they did have some 0.032" x 2" x 54" that Brian
would sell to me for $20, done deal, I bought it. I really didn't have much choice. I really
needed to provide GP with a template soon, now I could have done something from
plastic and made the gasket later, but I didn't want to duplicate my work.

So this is what I made this afternoon after getting back to my garage.

FP02_CopperGasket_01780.jpg

FP02_CopperGasket_01782.jpg

FP02_CopperGasket_01788.jpg

FP02_CopperGasket_01791.jpg

FP02_CopperGasket_01793.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back