Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

Now that the holidays are over for awhile, I got back into the header design project. It's real
tough to get the dimensions correct for the 4-2-1 or Tri-Y headers, so I wanted to also try a 4-1
design and see how close I could get. The mockup kit they sent me had enough collectors to
do both designs, but it also cost more at $650. But it all gets applied to the final cost of the
finished headers.

Without posting all the numbers from Pipemax, it basically comes down to the length of the
primary tubes. The collector diameter and length are easy to meet those requirements.

Primary length should be between 36.4" to 38.9". This version (version 03) came out at .....

Cyl #1 - 39.0"
Cyl #3 - 39.5"
Cyl #5 - 40.0"
Cyl #7 - 37.0"

With more tweaking I'm sure it would be closer, this is my first attempt at a 4-1 design. Then
HP Headers will have more flexibility in getting the dimensions correct when they build them.
Again, I'm not after the exact same dimension for all primary tubes, with a little variation, I
can make the torque curve wider and flatter since all the cylinders are NOT peaking at the
same RPM.

Version 03 Below (Next 3 photos)
FP01_HeaderDesign03_01689_01690.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign03_01691_01692.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign03_01693_01694.jpg

So you don't have to go back to look at version 02, they are included below.

Version 02 Below (Next 2 Photos)

FP01_HeaderDesign02_01673_01674.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign02_01675_01676.jpg

Obviously you can't determine the best performing version of the two header designs posted
above, but which one do you like cosmetically ???

3 is better...but I'm waiting for 4 and 5...something to inflame my senses, to proclaim "Indy is God of pipes!" No pressure.

3 but I would bet 4 is coming...I know you....

OK, I see we have a bunch of comedians on this website. Spanky and maybe LincolnT (can't tell if he
was smiling when her wrote his comment) was the only person with a straight answer ! LOL !

And YES, I'm working on version 4 this afternoon! ;)

I gave an answer in another place and was HONEST!!!! NOT FUNNY!!!!!!:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: If I had you talent, I'd be in the movies!!

Ya just gotta laugh every day about something or someone or you'll go nuts!!!

I was laughing at the funny comments! Thanks T-Test for the nice comment directly above!

I knew you would be working on number 4 soon...……...LOL...……...LOL......there I am grinning......LOL...I would not be surprised if there is not another one Rick.....

Ok, I didn't want disappoint the readers, so here is version 4. It's a major departure from
the others in that it does NOT go inside the hairpin mount. This time it goes outside like
the originals headers, but to meet the goal of getting them out of the wife's entry into the
car, they had to come way forward. Also I need to get a 22 inch collector extension on the
headers and not have them end beyond the door. The collector length is not a problem
when it passes inside the hairpin mount.

FP01_HeaderDesign04_01702.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign04_01705.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign04_01706.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign04_01717.jpg

FP01_HeaderDesign04_01711.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back