Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Design & Build

Indy we sure got off topic here. 10 is OK it is just a learning thing...back to #5, Rick

10 was foisted upon me during a restart/update sequence. Can I go back to 7?
If you have the Windows 7 install disk you can, but most likely you will loose everything
that is not backed up.

I keep all my files on a different hard disk than the Operating System. Then that disk gets
backed up to my Network Attached Storage (NAS) that can hold 12 Terra Bytes of data. The
NAS gets backed up to 1 of 2 external USB drive. Then I plan on getting a safe deposit box
and keeping one of the external drives there off site. I still need to get that safety deposit box.

The NAS has four - 4TB drives configured as a RAID 5, which means I can have one drive
fail and not loose any data. As long as I replace the failed drive before another drive fails, the
NAS can rebuild the new drive with my data.

Support for Windows 7 ends this year. No more security updates for it.

I'm thinking a version of Linux is in my future.
I’m tired of being forced to keep buying new versions of stuff that I own. I am also NOT a fan of my documents being on a cloud and held hostage if I access it. Windows is all but dead to me.

I'm not done crabbing about W10. Let's move this to the Lounge and let Indy dream up some more pipes we can all poke at.

Ok, I'm getting us back on track after that very nice crabbing session (thanks PotvinGuy
for a new cuss word) .

Below is version #5 which takes me back to a Tri-Y design. I used the first 10-12 inches
from version #4 since it comes forward toward the front axle before it tries to make it's
way to the first two 2-1 collectors. My goal was to not move the final collector, but I did
have to move it back about 3 inches. The last collector is still outside the hairpin mounts.

FP01_HeaderDesign05_01718.jpg
FP01_HeaderDesign05_01719.jpg
FP01_HeaderDesign05_01721.jpg

I thought it would be interesting at this point to compare the original headers to this
version #5 from underneath the car and see how low the two headers get.

Version #5 Below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_01723.jpg

Original headers below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_01121.jpg

Attachments

• FP01_HeaderDesign05_01728.jpg
    FP01_HeaderDesign05_01728.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 2
5 is much cleaner so I will change to #5...…...but wait here comes #6...…..smiling...Grin also....

5 is much cleaner so I will change to #5...…...but wait here comes #6...…..smiling...Grin also....
After I saw your belly ..... dancing, I figure you are always smiling !!! Even when you are sleeping !!! You are just abit demented my friend !!!

Below is proof of your problem !!! Wish I had your problem !!!

upload_2019-12-8_20-54-49.png

I like v5 a lot. Are the lengths good?
Umm, kinda !, but all of the versions shown above (v1 thur v5) are somewhat close or I would have
made more changes or NOT posted. HP headers has more options when it comes to the degrees, in an
elbow bend. They are not limited to 22°, 45°, 60° or 90° elbows like I am.

At some point I will post on the Pipemax forum with what I consider my 2 best options and
hope Larry Meaux provides an opinion. I just don't know how much difference 1-2 inches
makes.With some effort, I could calculate the speed of the acoustic wave, but experience will
be the definite answer.

Comments ???

I can appreciate your hard work and diligence. And your understanding of header design along with that confounded spread sheet! if I was building a funny car and gaining a few tenths of a second was my goal, that would be the way to go. For my T Bucket I’m happy with a nice clean simple set of Patriot headers. My little 283 in my bucket scares me enough!
I applaud you get your quest! Carry on my friend. Great job.

By yimminy, #5 stirs my loins. Would definitely get attention at the cruises. Tell me again why the pipes need to go forward. If you could move some back you could hide the 4-bar attachments. That's what I did. Is the collector 4"? I've been considering a 5" collector, if it wouldn't look too clunky. And how would the collector end? Baloney cut or turnout or? I've been thinking of a SuperTrapp end. Can "tune" it by adding/deleting discs.

5 looks great; with those curvy pipes, all will know they're 'custom-built' when you go cruising! :thumbsup:

By yimminy, #5 stirs my loins.
Well that's scary ! :laugh:

Tell me again why the pipes need to go forward. If you could move some back you could hide the 4-bar attachments.
By bringing the primary tubes forward, this also moves the last collector forward and
gets it out of the way when getting in/out of the car thru the door.

Is the collector 4"? I've been considering a 5" collector, if it wouldn't look too clunky.
No, it will most likely be 3 inch for the engine I have.

how would the collector end? Baloney cut or turnout or?
I don't think there is any design reason for one way or the other, so I like the looks of
a turnout best. It should also help direct the noise away from the car.

I think, fingers crossed, this is my final version. Larry Meaux of the Pipemax software liked
version 5 (Tri-Y Design) over version 4 (4 into 1 Design) even thou the dimensions were
not as close for version 5. My stated goal on his forum was a wider torque/horsepower curve
and not peak, I think this is the reason for selecting version 5.

This is not version 6, but version 5 Final. I learned early on that it was not worth perfecting
every version, but take it to the 80% level. Once the I found the one I liked, then go for the
100% level.

I grouped the pics from both versions (Version 5 & Version 5 Final) with similar views
together so you can compare them easily.

Version 5 Below
FP02_HeaderDesign05_01720.jpg
Version 5 Final Below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_Final_01730.jpg

Version 5 Below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_01719.jpg
Version 5 Final Below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_Final_01734.jpg

Version 5 Below

FP01_HeaderDesign05_01721.jpg
Version 5 Final Below
FP01_HeaderDesign05_Final_01735.jpg

Thanks Spanky !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back