Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello from Indiana

scmmcd247

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a member for a few years but never got around to starting my build. I can now say that my build is now officially started. I have hit a few snags so far but I feel things are moving along. One problem I have found is that with my 8.8 rear end the drive shaft hits the battery box. Has anyone else ran into this? I still need to finish cleaning up my brake lines just want to see what I need to adjust before I drill the holes for hangers.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 32
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 33
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 31
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20181014_202028.jpg
    20181014_202028.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 33
About the only cure I can see is to modify the molded-in battery box. Batteries come in all shapes and sizes these days, so you should be able to find a battery to fit the space you wind up with.

G'Day scmmcd247,
Have a look at the Odyssey or Fullriver range of AGM battery's. There's some slim ones that will fit your cut down battery box. Beauty of them is they can also be installed on their side with no ill effects if you wanted to. If you cut your battery box down in height you could install one of these with the terminals just above the floor of the bodywork under the seat.

I'm using the Odyssey PC 680 and love the small size. It's only 3.1 inches tall in the pic below.

FP01_WiringFinished_6316.jpg
FP01_WiringFinished_6314.jpg

No battery box needed !!!

OdesseyStorageTimes.JPG
Odessey680Specs.JPG

The downside is you will NOT find one of these batteries while you're out of town and go to AutoZone !!

AutoZone Employee .....you want what????
StrangeLook.jpg

Last edited:
Don't we see the battery in the wiring photo? So what's in the battery box? If nothing, cut it out.

Sounds like I'll be taking that box out and replacing it with a smaller box. I'm excited to have it on the road but know that I am far from being finished.

Course there are always these ones...

Huge cranking amp, just need to look after them.
Anti grav.JPG

Do you keep the charging amps at 12 amps or under?

Antigravity-Batteries-Specs-Comparison.jpg

I'm liking the idea of those small lithium batteries, especially since I'm planning on mounting it under the dash with the fuse block. The ability to lay them on it's side would make it possible to mount it under the bench seat if I have to. Sometimes new technology can be useful to "old school" car guys.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back