Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hello from the Greater St Louis MO area

Dan Lockwood

Been a gearhead all my life and planning another new project that may have some T parts thrown in here and there.

My last streetrod project was a '40 Willys coupe with a blown 392 hemi.

I tried to post pictures of the Willys, but it wouldn't let me because of my <10 posts.

Not what you would call a budget build, but I built it to drive. If it showed well, that was just icing on the cake.

I've been a biker, not a 1%'r, but just a rider for 55 years. I've built several other projects and am currently in the middle to final stages of a Boardtrack Racer bike project.

Right now I'm looking for frontend ideas with quarter elliptic springs.

My car will be Harley powered mating up through a Miata 5 speed and a MG Midget rearend assembly. It will have MG Midget front spindles that I hope to convert to mate up with a 4" dropped I-beam drilled front axle. The wheels/tires will be 4.00x19" all four corners.

Glad to be here and see what's been going on in the past decade to two... :)

T

Been a gearhead all my life and planning another new project that may have some T parts thrown in here and there.

My last streetrod project was a '40 Willys coupe with a blown 392 hemi.

I tried to post pictures of the Willys, but it wouldn't let me because of my <10 posts.

Not what you would call a budget build, but I built it to drive. If it showed well, that was just icing on the cake.

I've been a biker, not a 1%'r, but just a rider for 55 years. I've built several other projects and am currently in the middle to final stages of a Boardtrack Racer bike project.

Right now I'm looking for frontend ideas with quarter elliptic springs.

My car will be Harley powered mating up through a Miata 5 speed and a MG Midget rearend assembly. It will have MG Midget front spindles that I hope to convert to mate up with a 4" dropped I-beam drilled front axle. The wheels/tires will be 4.00x19" all four corners.

Glad to be here and see what's been going on in the past decade to two... :)

Shouldn't have been signed T.

Dan Lockwood

That sounds like a real different build. If I was building something like that I would go with a space frame design to make it as light as possible. If you want to use MG spindles think about IFS. That would be lighter also. Have you ever seen the Locost USA site? There are a lot of bike engine cars over there. I considered a midengine Honda T for a long time from ideas over there. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. Welcome to the site. I think Spanky is in your area. Hook up with him and a ride in his car may change your mind about your power choice!

Hey Dan. Check this out.

Thanks for the link.

I actually posted on that link with my thoughts and plans about my next project. I was going to post pictures here but without 10 posts for some reason I couldn't post them.

I can't even "quote" you with your link included to the other forum. WOW!

Anyway, I'll be using the same motor/trans adapter that I pictured in the link on the second page. The S&S uses the same older Harley 4-bolt crankcase mount, so I'm limited to an '06 or older motor. Although the '01 to '02 use the left side Timken tapered bearing and forged crank. The Timken is considered to be a better setup for higher powered motors. But mine will not be high powered, but I would hope that the forged crank and Timken will better fit my needs with the trans being mounted inline.

Lot's of speculation at this point, but I do have a plan, well sort of a plan... :)

Thanks

Dan

Welcome from St Louis/West County, Dan! Lotsa T-buckets around here, with a very active NTBA chapter. Look for us in the St Patrick's Day Parade!

PS - Check this out . . .

Spanky, if I keep this up, I'll have my 10 posts quickly... :)

I work over near the Page Industrial Park on Lotsie Blvd. My wife graduated from Ritenour High way many years ago and grew up in Woodson Terrace. I'm still a transplant down here. Can't say as I enjoy the nightly traffic getting out to O'Fallon. There're four freeways and everyone of them is a parking lot around 5:00 to 6:00 everyday. I get to work around 5:45 am so the new 364 works great for me. You get off at Bryan road and go north about a mile and that's where I call home.

I gave up my dedicated 28' x 32' workshop in MI and now just have a three car garage that's full of Harley's, welder, tools etc. So my motorcycle lift will be converted into a frame layout table to build my 2"x3" ladder frame.

If you go picturetrail dot com slash Dan_Lockwood you can find all of my photo albums. They be of interest to some of you guys.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Dan

I just looked at your albums. Very impressive build on the board track racer. Did you do the work? Reminds me of a friend of mine in Georgia named Hank Young.

I just looked at your albums. Very impressive build on the board track racer. Did you do the work? Reminds me of a friend of mine in Georgia named Hank Young.
Yes I've done all of the work.

Funny thing, I bought the chrome mufflers and then made my header pipes. I bought a BUNCH of "U" and "J" bends from Jegs and started cutting them up. Then I decided to do black Jet-Hot coating and they couldn't ceramic cost the chrome. So I paid $42 each for the muffler, paid $100 to have the chrome stripped and then paid to have them ceramic coated... What's wrong with that picture... :(

I started out with Fat Bobber 5 gal tanks and converted the right side to cover the gel mat battery and also be an oil tank. It held 6 quarts. But it just never looked quite right. So I started over from scratch and it's now shaping up quite nicely. But I lost my oil tank so I had to make an oil tank too. I've got them all sealed and I'm doing final shaping and smoothing of the tanks now.

When it's done I will get it road worthy and titled. I'll make sure it's going to run and ride well and then sell it to fund my new Harley powered car.

At this point though it's hard to stay motivated.

When I lived in Midland MI I had a ton of car guy friends. If you didn't work on your project they would come over and kick you in the butt until you got out in the garage and started working on it again. Down here I have no network of car friends that share this passion. So I'm on my own to do things like this. I do have a good friend that's a retired Delta mechanic down at the Lake of the Ozarks, but he's really too far away to get the fire started.

So I hope to learn some things here on frontend and rear end suspensions. I want to do quarter elliptic front and rear. I also want to use my MG Midget spindles on a solid I-beam Ford axle. This will require some doing. So I may try to hit you guys up for some dimensions later if possible.

Thanks and have a great day.

Dan

Looks like you can handle about anything you need to. Get hooked up with Spanky and tell him to stay on you ur butt and I’m sure he will. Lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back