Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey, gang! It's been a while........ but I'm back!

I guess I'll just have to accept that, in your opinion, I'm stupid then, Fred. Safety ALWAYS matters, even in a top fuel car with 8000 + horsepower and not much more weight than what we drive. You're right, your car, your ass, but I have to drive the same roads you do. So maybe, your car, my ass might work too.

Tell you what. You build your car as unsafe as you want to. I was happy to have you back, but I don't think I'll be following your build, although I'm sure that won't bother you. If you can't have a conversation with me without resorting to 3rd grade insults, I'm done. Maybe that's why Mike was too.

I am in no way mocking safety. However, I was in a head on colliston between two full sized trucks at about 50 mph each. I did not have a belt on. I did suffer a fractured skull from hitting my head on the wing post when I was thrown forward upon impact. The engine and transmission were broken apart at the bell housing, folded together, side by side, and parallel to the front seat and against it, the steering column was only attached by wires, it actually knocked the rear glass out of the truck. Had I been belted, I wouldn't be commenting on this. Just an interesting fact. I do wear seat belts routinely now and encourage my kids to.

Gentlemen, this subject of seatbelts in a T has been hashed and re-hashed numerous times. The results are always the same.....No one changes their opinion or view about the best course to take and the end result is a lot of feelings getting stepped on. Been down this road waaaaay to many times about helmets for motorcycle riders. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Gentlemen, this subject of seatbelts in a T has been hashed and re-hashed numerous times. The results are always the same.....No one changes their opinion or view about the best course to take and the end result is a lot of feelings getting stepped on. Been down this road waaaaay to many times about helmets for motorcycle riders. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Hashing opinions and reminding someone of the foolishness of their thinking are two different things. I owe others on the road the same respect I show them and they should owe me that same respect. That being said things happen and sometimes for the worse. Common sense is something you should develop from life experiences and advise from those that have been there. I tend to believe both fletcherson and Hotrod 46 have been there.

George

I have a good friend who is a neuro surgeon , he refers to bikers w/o helmets & drivers w/o belts as "organ donors" based on his 30 years experience. I believe him !
dave

I guess I'll just have to accept that, in your opinion, I'm stupid then, Fred. Safety ALWAYS matters, even in a top fuel car with 8000 + horsepower and not much more weight than what we drive. You're right, your car, your ass, but I have to drive the same roads you do. So maybe, your car, my ass might work too.

Tell you what. You build your car as unsafe as you want to. I was happy to have you back, but I don't think I'll be following your build, although I'm sure that won't bother you. If you can't have a conversation with me without resorting to 3rd grade insults, I'm done. Maybe that's why Mike was too.

Thanks for letting me have my opinion. How you take it is up to you. No harm done. Thanks for allowing me to build my car the way I see fit. (the old one had seat belts. I just never used them on residential streets). I'm not sure how me not using seat belts even effects you, but that's okay. As for 3rd grade insults, I see none. I never called YOU stupid, but you can take my comments anyway you like. That, sir, is your right. Whether or not you follow my thread is okay to. Again, your right. If there are other issues, just send me a private message. I may or may not answer. That's my right.

Pulling the dead into this crap is just disrespectful, but hey....... do as you like.

From now on, I'll stick to build updates. Naw, that's a lie. I enjoy voicing my opinion, but I'll just TRY and be a little more tactful.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the frenzy, Fred! Glad to see you back!!!!

Reactions: RPM
If your no.# is up, it doesn't matter, seat belt on or off, similar accidents, different results.

My take on the seatbelt thing...keeps you in the car when you suddenly have to swerve etc...and in my T they are effective for that because I'm basicly sitting on the floor.
But there are so many variables about how you actually sit in/on these cars that they may not help at all.
I'd say a T bucket style vehicle is one of a handful out there where a seat belt offers very little in the way of real protection.
Although I'm normally a big believer in seat belt use, I also believe use in a bucket really comes down to personal choice...and I wouldn't try to push anyone in either direction.

My take on the seatbelt thing...keeps you in the car when you suddenly have to swerve etc...and in my T they are effective for that because I'm basicly sitting on the floor.
But there are so many variables about how you actually sit in/on these cars that they may not help at all.
I'd say a T bucket style vehicle is one of a handful out there where a seat belt offers very little in the way of real protection.
Although I'm normally a big believer in seat belt use, I also believe use in a bucket really comes down to personal choice...and I wouldn't try to push anyone in either direction.

Thanks, Hacker. It is about choice. My T had seat belts. When I offered rides, I pulled them out from under the seat, but I never required people to wear them. It was up them. Many times, I was asked if I used them and I told them sometimes, and explained why. I also tried to explain how the outcome would be if they did or didn't. It's a choice each individual has to make.

HenrysT made a VERY good point. If it's your time, NOTHING will prevent a bad outcome. You can install seat belts, air bags and a full roll cage, but if the big man upstairs feels a need for your presence, he's gonna cash you in. I just hope there's a chrome shop up there.

Now Dave...you're gonna have to break that one down if you expect me say it out loud! Hahahaha :confused:

First he's going to have to learn when it applies to the person or persons he's directing it at. LMMFAO Amazing. All THIS because of an individuals choice of safety gear or a lack of? Really? Have a nice one, guys. I'm trying to choose what gear ratio my right foot and wallet can live with.

3:52, 3:73 or 4:11? Now, THAT'S some sh*t worth talking about.

And my parents said I wasted my education when I went on construction :roflmao:..
dave
no amount of safety gear...when your numbers up...nothing will prevent a bad outcome ...and words to that effect, basically infers you have no influence in your destiny ... at least that's how I interpet the language.. lighten up Fred , lifes to short to spend it angry

Last edited:
And my parents said I wasted my education when I went on construction :roflmao:..
dave
no amount of safety gear...when your numbers up...nothing will prevent a bad outcome ...and words to that effect, basically infers you have no influence in your destiny ... at least that's how I interpet the language.. lighten up Fred , lifes to short to spend it angry

LOL Man, I'm just having fun with all the crap over a set of nylon straps in a glass car. Trust me, this discussion is a welcome distraction. When did this place get so serious?

But seriously, 3:52, 3:73 or 4:11?

Depends on what driving you'll be doing , od. or not , tire size , tolerance to engine noise at cruise...
dave

Depends on what driving you'll be doing , od. or not , tire size , tolerance to engine noise at cruise...
dave

A little highway, mostly street (with an occasional "stop light to stop light" sprint. I'm going with the old, dependable 350th. Miss Behavin' gave me many a smile with her 3:73, but I was wondering if a 3:52 would be nice compromise, when I hopped on the highway every now and again.

Pretty light car, 3:52 would be ok for general driving, depending on tire size, your cam, etc, and what your expectations are. I think you planned on a ford 9? If so, why not have a weekend warrior center section for when you want to make a statement and put the cruiser back in for putsing around? Not hard to find, expensive, or hard to change! If it were me and I had to choose one, I would go with at least a 3:73 because it is mild enough to drive on the freeway yet will allow for a stealthier cam and better stop light performance, where the fun is. I ran a 3:73 with a 700r4 in my iroc with 28" tires and it was a very good street combo with a sbc. It would rip off of the line and cruise nice on the freeway. Didn't kill my fuel mileage too bad, no more than my right foot. The od made a difference.

There's a ton of rpm calculators on the web..that being said , if you're running non-overdrive & don't plan on alot of high speed cruising , something in the 3.5 range oughta work .... w/your proposed BB you could run a 3.0 & still have plenty of scoot !!
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back