Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Home Security

I'm using Blue Iris software with 2 Dahua cameras.

It's going to have a lot of features and flexibility, more so than a dedicated recorder. But with that comes more complexity. I'm running Blue Iris on my dedicated home theater PC (HTPC), since it already run 24/7. The IPCamTalk forum will provide lots of info, it has a section for BI also.

IP Cam Talk
Blue Iris - Video Security Software [$60 for the full version, also has a trial version]

A very nice series of videos have been made on BI.

Last edited:
I have two American bandogges and a pit bull, (about 250 pounds of k 9) a twelve gauge pump, several pistols and a real bad attitude. I only worry when we go away because we live in a rural area. A security system is pretty much useless because the police are too sparse to respond in time. Photos may help. I've found that lighting the place up, drive way gate, fence, etc is a good system. Make it as inconvenient as possible. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. This is mainly to watch over the house when we are not there because my wifes daughter has come over at times and things come up missing.

The nest cameras work well. Easy to install just plug into an out let and you are up and running. You have to set up the wifi for it. Has a decent picture and can zoom. You can also record the video for a monthly fee, and you can talk to people using the camera and the app. These are all screen shots from my Iphone6 from within the app.

F8FC7E44-DE19-46D6-B181-818540927F13_zps3yvygj7p.png
33DF1452-800C-4015-BD74-9CDC8BF689FD_zpspynvlg1v.png

0FC7A394-9898-479B-9ABF-AE15C2CB331D_zps4ffcyz2a.png

F8FC7E44-DE19-46D6-B181-818540927F13_zps3yvygj7p.png

I almost added that most thefts were by people you know and trust. Sorry! We have recently dealt with it too and for some elderly family who are being targeted by younger members, credit card type stuff. What ever happened to honor? Hope you find a resolve!

Thanks all. Sorry fletcherson. Not to bore everyone but we had to take my wifes kids away from her cause she is on drugs and been arrested a number of times . And goes off with her boyfriend and leaves the kids at home by themselves.

Thanks all. Sorry fletcherson. Not to bore everyone but we had to take my wifes kids away from her cause she is on drugs and been arrested a number of times . And goes off with her boyfriend and leaves the kids at home by themselves.
I feel for you. Senseless. I hope you find some peace for your family!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back