Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hot Rod Bucket

Finished up the windshield frame and mirrors. Chopped the mirror length and welded it on the frame. The top of the windshield glass will be exposed and as you can see, it is a short windscreen. Tomorrow it gets glass. :)
20191024_142705_resized.jpg
20191024_142655_resized.jpg
20191024_142728_resized.jpg

Good job, and it is still in one piece.

It was touch and go. The glass guy first glued the glass to the OUTSIDE of the frame and completely ignored the inner support plates. He made the glass the same size as the whole outside of the frame, putting all kinds of rubber around it to try to make it look ok. It was crazy...:sick:. He took all that stuff off and came back to earth, tried again and redeemed himself. He did, however, scratch the frame. I let him live. :roflmao:

Not many real hot rod glass people left. Too young and don't want to work too hard to learn.

Have one glass shop here with older people that have done it for 30 plus years and have patterns for a lot of vehicles that no longer are available. I'm lucky!! But you can't buy an N50 tire in this town without them ordering it and marking it up. I do that myself and get better/faster/cheaper service from the internet. I try t buy as much possible localy, but no one stocks what they use to.

I try t buy as much possible locally, but no one stocks what they use to.

This town is very limited for hot rod type parts and services. There are no "junk yards" where you can pick over stuff. The parts places require a make and model and if you don't have that, they cannot type it into the computer and get it for you. Welding places here will sell you their scraps for a dollar a pound. No metal sales place here. There are better pickings an hour away but even then it is a crap shoot sometimes. Since I had to drive up there for the windshield anyway, I dropped into the metal place and asked them to cut one 20 foot piece of angle iron in half so I could haul it home. Two bucks for the cut, no problem. Then they tell me they have a cut schedule and it will be two days before they can put in under the chop saw. One cut. Finally they did cut it for me but you could tell it was a HUGE inconvenience.

Not many real hot rod glass people left. Too young and don't want to work too hard to learn.

This town is very limited for hot rod type parts and services. . . .Since I had to drive up there for the windshield anyway, I dropped into the metal place and asked them to cut one 20 foot piece of angle iron in half so I could haul it home. Two bucks for the cut, no problem. . . . One cut. Finally they did cut it for me but you could tell it was a HUGE inconvenience.

These are the places you want to be sure and visit when your hot rod is on the road, to show the millennials what a real hot rod looks & sounds like. We gotta pass the torch! :):thumbsup:

Have one glass shop here with older people that have done it for 30 plus years and have patterns for a lot of vehicles that no longer are available. I'm lucky!! But you can't buy an N50 tire in this town without them ordering it and marking it up. I do that myself and get better/faster/cheaper service from the internet. I try t buy as much possible localy, but no one stocks what they use to.
You aren’t alone. I hear all of the local shop owners and retailers complain about the on line vendors, but no one stocks stuff anymore plus they charge more. I do try to support the local economy, but my economy and time matters too. I think the days of local brick and mortar stores is systematically being replaced.

Stockton Auto glass will install mine when I get to that part of the build. They said $200.00 .

That's probably a good price. I found glass on-line starting at $150. You have to buy the gasket material and put it in yourself. Then when you finally wrestle it to the ground and break it, you drive over to the windshield shop and pay them anyway. ;)

I'm lucky. I only paid $87.00 for them to cut and install my last windshield when the other got broke by a rock from a dump truck. 2 yrs ago.

My bronze tinted windshield was $208 installed!

Bunch of show-offs with those cheap prices on glass. My glass guy lives here, where does your guy live?... SO THERE! :D
View attachment 17573

LOL! Well the guy's that did my last one probably live in something like that. They sure bent me over on it and still didn't do it right. I'll see tomorrow when I pick up my new one if the new guy did me right. I know I sure felt good about him when I dropped it off. He does it from home and it's not even close to what you have pictured. Fingers crossed.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back