Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hot Rod Bucket

My rebuilt 327 is still on it's engine stand. Waiting for LeRoy ( the shop owner ) to inspect it. He noticed a number 6 rod cap out of place when I was putting the oil pan on. It was placed in an area with other engines ( also on engine stands ) are waiting to be completed. I call the area , " DEATH ROW ".

Pretty much finished the driveshaft enclosure and ran the cable for the shifter. I relocated it forward a bit to give more room to occupants. Now I have started installing the aluminum panels around the driveshaft.
interior panel.jpg interior panel2.jpg interior panel3.jpg

Looking good Jim. You really get a sense for how low the car sits seeing the driveshaft running uphill. Like the seats as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking good Jim. You really get a sense for how low the car sits seeing the driveshaft running uphill. Like the seats as well
Thanks much, I am starting to see enough progress that I think my first build might actually work. I have some tough stuff coming up though...fiberglass and wiring. Yikes! Wish some of you expert types lived closer.

From what you have shown us it'll be fine and will provide plenty of joyful tire smoking fun. Tip, take a box of doughnuts to the local PD every week for about a month before you start driving it. That way they will know you when they pull you over. :roflmao: Too bad your still not in Pryor, i'd be happy to help out when needed.:thumbsup:

If you cannot roll a soft ball under it without hitting something, you will have trouble with speed bumps and driveways. I know from experience!! Oil pans/trans pans/drive shafts---not real expensive but annoying to replace often.

I also would like for you to check the scrub line on your car before driving.

Be sure you have all your timing and fuel issues squared away before your break-in run . . . in the short vid, there was a lot of throttle movement and little to no engine response to it.

Today was a big day. Set up the idle, fixed the vacuum issues and let that baby purrrr. Revved it to 2500 for a bit, then got a small gasoline leak from the fuel pump that deterred our progress. Shook the shop, woke up the neighbors and made my dogs bark. I love being retired, can work on it tomorrow...a MONDAY.
20190201_170431.jpg

If you cannot roll a soft ball under it without hitting something, you will have trouble
Seems the standard issue softball for slow pitch is 3.8 inches in diameter. I have tape measured everything and feel like I have passed the soft ball challenge so far. Still working on that Scrub line thing though. I have the whole car up on jack stands to work on the brake lines at present. That planned 20 minute run of the motor at 2500 rpm that we had to cut short at 5 minutes because of a steady little fuel line drip REALLY changed the look of my cheap stainless steel lakes. Now they are quite multi-colored.

That planned 20 minute run of the motor at 2500 rpm that we had to cut short at 5 minutes because of a steady little fuel line drip REALLY changed the look of my cheap stainless steel lakes. Now they are quite multi-colored.

A little Wenol & a rag and they'll look good as new!

Today was a big day. Set up the idle, fixed the vacuum issues and let that baby purrrr. Revved it to 2500 for a bit, then got a small gasoline leak from the fuel pump that deterred our progress. Shook the shop, woke up the neighbors and made my dogs bark. I love being retired, can work on it tomorrow...a MONDAY.
View attachment 17685
Love Dobes! Very good dogs.

Big day today. Broke in the lifters with a long high idle with occasional revs.

Then pulled it down to 500 rpm for nice idle.

Amazing day. Sally was up on jack stands so we put her in gear and watched the tranny and rear end working. No leaks. Decided the Chinese radiator was secretly conspiring against up with constant leaking so we tig welded in some new fittings for the transmission lines. That fixed it, No more metric for you, round eye!
new tranny ports.jpg
Started the brake line install that I have been threatening her with for a few weeks. So far so good.
brake lines.jpg
Now I have to put in a proportioning valve, a 2 lb disc brake valve, a brake light switch and a master cylinder in some where before I get to the front end.

Fletch, these are both rescue dogs. One is the smartest dog I ever was around, the other.....pretty dumb. But both are affectionate, loyal and house trained. Some people's kids could take lessons. :roflmao:
We rescued a dobie/lab mix as a companion for our Chocolate Lab. He was the absolute best behaved, most loyal of all and we have had some good dogs. He was also the gentlest creature... he would catch baby bunnies and cuddle them, let the cat sleep on him, etc... our chocolate lab killed everything for sport and chased the cat, lol... I had to put him down due to C... too soon, he was only about 7, it still hurts to think about it. Fond memories of him all the same. When we first rescued him, I ruptured a disc in my back and was bed ridden for a period. He and I bonded. He somehow knew that I was hurting and would lay against me on the bed, guarding me, watching tv... not only some people’s kids, but many people could learn about being a decent human from dogs... imho!

I stay away from animal ownership because I want them to be able to live long healthy lives. Every animal I've ever owned has died shortly after attaining ownership of them. Trust me , they are better off without me. I have a lot of respect for people who can successfully raise pets. I am NOT one of those people. My pet ownership is a life shortening curse for all living creatures. This seems really lame , but I have an unpleasant history which leaves a long trail of animal cadavers in my wake.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back