Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How can I reduce the coolant temperature?

Did you just replace the AC with some type of idler pulley?

I am a displaced Albertan in Louisiana. lol.
I did not replace the AC with a pulley. Just using the PS pulley.

Alberta is a beautiful province in Canada. When we lived in Winnipeg we used to take family trips to Banf and Lake Louise....
No glaciers in Louisiana..eh?

Well, I got the radiator on time but I'm returning it today. The flanges were welded on the incorrect side. I expect it to be reworked and hopefully back to me next week.
The radiator is being reworked and should arrive next week.
While waiting for the radiation i thought about asking the community on a cam recommendation. I pick up an extra set of gt40p heads while in the Motor City this week. The springs were upgraded with Alex's offerings. These heads also came with Crane Cam RR 1.7? I question the ratio because Crane made both 1.6 and 1.7 for the Cobras. The part number is f3ze-6529-ab.
I was thinking about purchasing an alphabet cam and installing it now that the radiator is off. My goal is to boost the engine with an extra 50-60 hp. Don't know if this is too optimistic of of a gain.
I can have a cam delivered in two days. But before I purchase, Which one would you recommend? I'mooking for a good idle and drive-ability.

Careful what you wish for.

John
The radiator is being reworked and should arrive next week.
While waiting for the radiation i thought about asking the community on a cam recommendation. I pick up an extra set of gt40p heads while in the Motor City this week. The springs were upgraded with Alex's offerings. These heads also came with Crane Cam RR 1.7? I question the ratio because Crane made both 1.6 and 1.7 for the Cobras. The part number is f3ze-6529-ab.
I was thinking about purchasing an alphabet cam and installing it now that the radiator is off. My goal is to boost the engine with an extra 50-60 hp. Don't know if this is too optimistic of of a gain.
I can have a cam delivered in two days. But before I purchase, Which one would you recommend? I'mooking for a good idle and drive-ability.

up grading the heads might not be a bad idea with respect to your over heating problem.
I suspect you may very well have a head/head gasket problem.
Have you pressure checked the cooling system?

Reactions: RPM
Not up to date on the heads, but I think the plug angle on some of the variants required a different exh manifold design. Might want to check and make sure your header pipes will clear.
The B and E cam will be down on off idle tq. I am not a cam guru either, but some fuel injected profiles are not ideal for creating a good vacuum for a carb. The bigger letter cams make good sounds and mid to upper power. There is a possibility you will want to change gears after the cam change. I have heard good things on just a 1.7 rocker swap with the H.O. and Cobra cam. I think one of the members run the F cam. Last I read, he was very pleased. That is a pretty stout cam.

I'm back in the country and the reworked radiator arrived. I'll install it today - got a couple of vacation days left.
I won't install the newly acquired heads because I still don't know the RR ratio.

Reverse mount the radiator fan. Install radiator. After getting it running, do a cylinder leak down test.
Look for bubbles in the coolant. If none, drive it for the rest of the summer then do head/cam swap over the winter.
The roller rocker ratio is irrelevant. Getting the proper length push rods and how the roller swipes the valve face is more important.

John

I'm back in the country and the reworked radiator arrived. I'll install it today - got a couple of vacation days left.
I won't install the newly acquired heads because I still don't know the RR ratio.

Update -
Thought I would first recap the changes that were made before providing everyone with the results. I replaced the water pump and thermostat while waiting for the new radiator. The new aluminum radiator (with the bottom port on the driver side) was installed today. It was filled with the previously used fluid and I then started the engine. I did not make any adjustments to the timing or idle speed.

Results
Ran the engine in the driveway and on the road for a total of 35 minutes and the temperature did not go beyond 185. When on the road, I had the opportunity to vary the speed from 40 to 80 and the fluid temperature actually went down a little - hovering around 175. I will put it through another test tomorrow by driving it for an hour, making my destination downtown Indianapolis. I anticipate the same results as today.... I hope..

Not entirely certain what the issue was but after making those changes the cooling system appears to be working as it should.

I placed the fan behind the radiator. I should also mention that the radiator came with a larger, 16" diameter fan.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back