Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How do you install the drop bracket on steering column?

kev23t

Anyone have any pics of their install of their steering column drop bracket? I am guessing you would want to install a piece of angle iron on the other side of the dash to give it extra strength at the mounting point? What would be the strongest option? I definately do not want the fiberglass dash to crack where it mounts. Thanks

Anyone have any pics of their install of their steering column drop bracket? I am guessing you would want to install a piece of angle iron on the other side of the dash to give it extra strength at the mounting point? What would be the strongest option? I definately do not want the fiberglass dash to crack where it mounts. Thanks

On my car, I fit a piece of 3/4"x3/4" tubing the full width of the lower dash. It was then welded to a vertical on either end that went down the body sides to the floor where they were attached to a plate that went inward towards the center of the body. This plate was drilled for one of the body mounting bolts. This entire assembly was glassed to the dash, body side and floor to make a very strong mount for the column.

Jim

I epoxied a 3/4" piece of hardwood to the backside of the dash with some "t bolts" for the angle iron. Then I attached the angle iron to the "t bolts" and attached the dropdown bracket. Very strong.

I epoxied a 3/4" piece of hardwood to the backside of the dash with some "t bolts" for the angle iron. Then I attached the angle iron to the "t bolts" and attached the dropdown bracket. Very strong.
I did something similar. Epoxied a 5/8" x 5/8" x 10" piece of oak into the lower lip of my dash above the column, then ran a 1/2" angle iron brace forward from the top of the oak to an oak pad epoxied to the backside of the firewall. Column drop attaches to the bottom of the dash and up through the oak with s/s socket-head bolts with nylock nuts on top. I wanted the column mount to be good and solid, as I use the steering wheel as a handle when pulling my fat a$$ out of the seat to dismount.

DashCarrier007.jpg

So the bracket on the backside just distributes the weight across a larger area and this prevents the glass from breaking or cracking correct? Thanks alot guys

I used a piece of 1/2 by 1/2 sq tubing and using a conduit bender put an offset in each end to conform with the dash. Then i welded a plate on each end that used the winshield stantion bolts to hold it in place on both sides.

So the bracket on the backside just distributes the weight across a larger area and this prevents the glass from breaking or cracking correct? Thanks alot guys
That, and providing more meat to run the column drop mounting bolts through.

Don't ya just love it here Kevin??

Ron

This place is great for sure. I know I am going to have all kinds of questions and its very cool to have good people with knowledge to help ya out.

Hi Kevin. Welcome aboard. This is definitely the place to ask your questions. There's lots of knowledgeable builders on here and they're more than willing to share their knowledge.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back