Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How easy is it to get a T registered and tagged in Alabama?

Spirit provided me with both a vin tag and Arkansas title. I took both to tag agent and had my Oklahoma title in a few days. Normally I would have had to take the car with vin attached to frame, but they let me skate with just the vin tag.:rolleyes:
Lee

Spirit supplied me with an Arkansas title and a vin plate, both of which were essentially useless to me in the state of Iowa.
Initially, because the title from Spirit said "replica" on it the gals at the DOT office said it had to be inspected. No big deal, set up an appointment
with the examiner, presented him with the title and all my receipts and he did it as an assembled vehicle and assigned it a VIN number.
Even with the SEMA rules, every state, and sometimes counties within that state, are different. I know of at least one here that was done
with a replica title straight away with no inspection.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was just a Federal title and plate, and we didn't have 50 states of different rqmnts to deal with? When I built my T and went to get title and tags, they asked me what car did I start with. I tried to explain building a car from scratch, but the clerks were mystified. I finally just bought a title from an ad in a hot rod magazine (this was 25 years ago; I don't think you can do that anymore) and used that.

I just picked a VIN # at random and went to the DMV with my receipts. They asked
me if I put big tires or a different engine in it.....Oh no Mam, nothing like that. I am
titled as an original 1920 Model T.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back