Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How I scratch built a Modern T

At this point in time there are well over 100 miles on the car and here are a few of my conclusions;

On the plus side:
>This thing is a blast to drive, not very practical but a lot of fun.
>It is very comfortable to sit in, drives and handles very well, steering is quick and sensitive but precise and predictable.
>Very smooth and no vibrations even up to 70 mph which is about as fast as I want to drive it.
>The engine runs unbelievably well. It starts as soon as the starter engages the ring gear and idles smoothly. While this is no hot rod that little engine pulls the car along quite briskly. It accelerates well and I have revved the engine to over 5500 rpm with no misfiring. The straight through exhaust system gives the engine a real nice sound.
>The five speed overdrive transmission shifts smoothly but spends most of its time in third gear, it will sail along a lot faster than I want to go in fourth and overdrive is out of the question except perhaps to save fuel at cruise speed, but it doesn’t burn much fuel anyway. The engine works best when the revs are kept up, it does not like to be lugged down, typical for small engines.

Negatives:
>The ride leaves a lot to be desired as one would expect with a transverse leaf spring suspension, it is not too bad but a quick bump pitches the car up and down, no doubt also due to the short wheelbase.
>The cab is a lot more breezy than I thought it would be with the roof in place especially in a cross wind.
>Getting in and out through the one door is a real PITA especially with two people in the car. It is a shame the body kit was only available with the one door. I thought hard about cutting out the other side but decided against it thinking it was going to take too long. I might still do it now that I know what an inconvenience it is, but that is going to mean painting it again. :(

Thanks to all that posted suggestions or comments, this was a fun project and I really like how it turned out. As I mentioned previously these postings reflected a condensed timeline, I had not anticipated doing a build thread when I built the car so some of the pics and comments are after the fact or out of sequence.

For those interested the time to build from buying the donor vehicle to the first test drive was two years working on it for about an average of two to three hours a day or a total of about 2000 man hours. That includes all the time spent doing mistakes over or redoing ideas that did not work out as expected. Total cost to build was just on the south side of $13,000 and that includes all the stuff that did not fit or got messed up.

Have to decide about what to build next, thinking of doing a 34 Ford coupe with independent suspension, maybe electric power? That would be an interesting challenge.

Here's a photo of my front wheels : Look familiar ?

Attachments

• left front tire & wheel..jpg
    left front tire & wheel..jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 107
Yes, I got mine from Speedway Motors. I like the look of the round spokes, never seen any other wheels like it.

Team III Gasser ET 15 Inch Wheel-4 In. Width, 2 In. Backspace

With them only being 4 inches wide you are limited to how wide a tire can be installed on it.

Yo Spanky , looks like the photo of a model car. My first clue was an overly fat windshield frame , second clue was the poor fitting roof.

It may be, Donny. My point was to illustrate the similarity of the modern spoke "gasser" style wheels to the original wood spoke Model T versions. ;)

Like the Quaker said, "better ye than thee". That's why I moved to Florida as soon as I retired. The ONLY thing that kept me in NE Ohio was a good paying job.

That is quite the contrast in just two days !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back