Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How low can you go??

I wish I had a pic of my friend Hoss ( Howard ) who is 6' 4 and 340pounds in his wifes miata...its comical. Very circus bear-esque. And my ex boss had a Lotus Europa (twin cam) and he was 6' 6. Ex Junk. I love the style and thought you put into your car, I'll add my 2 cents and say if you marketed it, or even the modified cowl for a 23-25 body, Id be in line with my fiancees credit card!

Nate

I've seen Ex-Junk and Don's roadsters both up close in person... They are both absolutely stunning cars and both sit very low.:cool:

Anyway, I am using a Dave Koorey extended body (www.dkrods.com) on my track-T build. It has the cowl stretched 6 inches and comes with the floor already installed. The body comes with the floor channeled 3 inches (to hide a 2" x 3" frame), but the reinforced floor is only 1/4 inch thick instead of 3/4 inch plywood. I built my own seat riser, so I sit fairly low in it and I'm using a 5-speed tranny, so there are 3 pedals in there. I'm just a fraction under 5'10" and, although not on the road yet, feels like it will be fairly comfortable.:D

There are some pics in my gallery or you can look at the build thread over on Club Hotrod (Another build thread? Yep, my track-style T - Club Hot Rod Forums) to see what the body looks like.

with the 26-27 body the extra room up front makes a HUGE difference! mine is LOW!

ill try to snap a pic of me in it to show it better but you can kinda tell with the steering wheel!

tbucket001.JPG

Now that LOW

Word of caution: It sounds simple, but make sure YOU are going to be comfortable in the car. My car is pretty low too. It's channeled and has a chopped top but I'm 5'6"!

I always joke that a short man is the only person that can steal my car, but's it's really true if you were to see it. It's all apart now for some refurbishing, but you'll get the idea when I figure out how to post a pic on this site.

BTW: the pic now on there now is kinda a tribute to my Dad; he raced that car 50 years ago this year. It's amazing what you can do when you have to. He towed that whole rig plus tools, tires, Mom and me with a '49 Dodge flathead six and fluid drive no less!

I really like that tub body. Don't care for the dash...but that's just me.

Ron

meangreen said:
Anyway, I am using a Dave Koorey extended body (www.dkrods.com) on my track-T build. It has the cowl stretched 6 inches and comes with the floor already installed. The body comes with the floor channeled 3 inches (to hide a 2" x 3" frame), but the reinforced floor is only 1/4 inch thick instead of 3/4 inch plywood. I built my own seat riser, so I sit fairly low in it and I'm using a 5-speed tranny, so there are 3 pedals in there. I'm just a fraction under 5'10" and, although not on the road yet, feels like it will be fairly comfortable.
I was 5'10" also when I was younger now a little shorter. Anyways I have a Speedway body, channeled 3"". I put the brake pedal on the left side and the gas pedal in the middle of the car much more comfortable and mama gets ta play with my knee (whether she wants to or not) :rock::lol: DPI.

I don't care for the "seating on top of the body look" myself. I wanted to sit as low as possible. But seating on the frame rails in a stock body was tuff. It was like sitting in a kids go-kart. My knees were chest level. I've done a lot of work on my body and I'm not quit done yet. I am 6'1" and the stock body size was tight... very tight. I've widened it nearly 6" and added 4" behind the doors. I still have to widen the turtle deck to fit the body but that won't be too bad I hope. I also decided to raise the seat up a few inches. I still can sit comfortable without my knees rising above the side of the body. Sometimes it would be great to be 5' 10". It would make things a lot easier.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back