Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How short is too short?

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
While playing in the CAD program, trying to see if I can make an "off the shelf" frame work for me, I came up with a question for the brain trust. How short is to short for a solid axle driveshaft?

How short did your model come up? It should not matter much. Mine is about 15" tube. GM Cheetah (response to AC Cobra) pretty much went straight from transmission to rear end. And dragsters of course. With the limited suspension travel of a T, I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

How short did your model come up? It should not matter much. Mine is about 15" tube. GM Cheetah (response to AC Cobra) pretty much went straight from transmission to rear end. And dragsters of course. With the limited suspension travel of a T, I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

Yoke to yoke around 13-1/4", with a max suspension travel of around 6".

My car had 5 1/2" center to center on bearing cups and got over 100,000 miles on it with no problem.

That is seriously short. I would not have even considered that short except for an IRS set up.

My 400 Turbo yoke was longer than the rest of the shaft. The drive shaft shop toook pictures and hung on the wall for years!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back