Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How to satin finish aluminum?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
I'm getting a new windshield for my bucket. The frame is raw aluminum. My cockpit is all satin finish. How do I put a satin finish on my new piece?

Try a real fine steel wool or Scotchbrite pads, and buff it. Test a hidden area first to see which gives you the finish your looking for.

I am finishing up an alum windshield frame. I used solid alum 1" round stock on the sides and 3/8" square channel on the top and bottom. I have a small bench mounted buffer and was polishing all of it. In the steps to get it ready for the buffing. I used 400 grit sandpaper. The sanded finish looked very good and I almost stopped at that point. It gave a very clean frosted or satin look to all the alum. Small imperfections that showed up after polishing did not show in the satin finish. I am sure some fine Scotchbrite would do the same and probably be easier to handle. I would look into a coating if satin is your choice. I am hoping Zoop or similar polish will keep my shine alive.

good luck,

I'm getting a new windshield for my bucket. The frame is raw aluminum. My cockpit is all satin finish. How do I put a satin finish on my new piece?

Well, when we need to do it for a customer, we use a jitterbug sander or vibrating sander....they heve these now where the nose is shaped like a triangle for getting into corners, go with about 400 grit....if its not satin enough....you might have to drop to 320. Usually...you have to play around. Some customers loke glass beading, but you can use all kinds of media to get the finish you want...Hope this helps......

RR has you covered....if you want to make designs in your alum. you can use the same techiniques that custom glass engravers use......

A word of caution on the jitterbug. I used it to try and speed up the finishing on my polishing. It will leave small squirrelly circles on the finish. It may be good to remove extruding ridges or dents, but I think you will end up doing some straight line sanding.

I know this has been hashed over before,and people cautioned to use proper safety proceedures and safety equipment, IE: Gogles, rubber gloves, long sleeve shirt helps too.....

Aluminum can be effectively "etched" by spraying it with common oven cleaner, waiting a few minutes for the effect you want and spray it clean with a garden hose. You may want to test the effect on a scrap piece and time the ammount of "soak time" before rincing with the hose. Just be carefull, Oven cleaner is very caustic, but geez, women use it daily, it's not rocket science !
"BH"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back