Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I need some help with a color.

fordsbyjay

I am having my wheels and engine painted red but I do not know a good color. My wheels are currently a darker read but I am looking for a bright red or apple red. I don't have any paint books so I am looking for some suggestions. I work out of town and I will be here for the next few weeks so I can't just go to look at my local paint shop.

Here is the current set up.

This is more or less the color (look) I am after.

I think Viper red is the brightest red out there. If you are stuck on red. there are an awful lot of those out there. I like interior color would look good. Can you photo shop that and look at it a while?

PPG has a red called "Boyd's Red" which is a real red, without any browns or yellows in it.It was name for Boyd Cottington.

Mark

My two favorite brighter reds are the red used on the late 80s early 90s Pontiac Le Mans GSE (fun car to drive....on the rare occasions it was drive-able)

Le Mans GSE.jpg

The next one is one I'm partial to...Pepsi Red with a bit of bright orange added.

voight special.jpg

Gene Voight was my uncle...being around when he was building the "Little Red Car" was what started me as a car nut at an early age.

The Ford red on the 223 6 cyl sounds close to what you were looking for. Also, you may want to hit your local paint mixing shop and ask if they have any "error" quarts. Sometimes, folks will order paint and for whatever reason not pick it up. You can usually get a really good deal, and some really neat shades you hadn't considered. Please post pics after you get it painted!

I've been seeing some of these new Fords around, and man they are bright!

I don't know about the costs of brand new colors though.
Ford-Fiesta-20131.jpg

May want to check Graphic Red from TCPglobal I'm using it on a customers car now. Painted the wheels today. As a matter of fact he had a picture of your car from crusin the coast 2012 to show the style of wheels and tires he wanted. Its a color from the 1960's GM.

Sorry got color origin wrong. Graphic red is actually Chrysler color from 1980's. I spend a lot of time trying to find the right color of red for him. Regal red was a color we looked at. It is from 1960's GM
It is crazy how many reds are out there.

GM Torch Red, Porsche Indian Red or Guards Red, and Viper Red are all very close if you want bright.:cool: Keep in mind that red pigment is the hardest color to produce and therefore is the most expensive, so don't have a heart attack when you see the price - the last red I bought was over $400 for 2 quarts!:confused: (DuPont Chromabase; price did not include hardener or clear.)

The DuPont was 974.00 a gallon here in Tulsa, which nothing was included but a strainer and a stir stick.
Lee

On one of my buckets I used International Harvester Red from Tractor Supply Company. It was made from soy beans. $26.00 a gallon plus hardener and other supplies come out to a little over $100.00. Beautiful Red IMHO.

Here is some more blurry pics of the firewall. We changed from all black to checkerboard.

Black and white was looking good but needed something.

So he laid in some red on the lines.

Thanks for posting that. I was planning on a checkerboard firewall also and this helps.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back