Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

IFS $160!

And Fatman Fabrications (Brent) no longer offers that front end for some reason. He is an Engineer that would not put it out for sale if it wasn't safe

And Fatman Fabrications (Brent) no longer offers that front end for some reason. He is an Engineer that would not put it out for sale if it wasn't safe
They produce some nice stuff. My friend purchased a rack and pinion kit for his ‘47 Chevy truck. Quality pieces.

Hmmmm...just remember, there is a big difference in a "split" front axle and a front axle system that crosses twin axles to the opposite frame rail and pivots from there.

A split axle is far more likely to tuck under during hard cornering, (As proven by early Allards), and is not for performance driving...just cruising.
The longer the arms are the easier it is to control the camber curve and this tuck under tendency, but of course you can only make a car so wide...so there's the problem.

The cross-over style with its much longer arms, (set up correctly of course) is far more stable and has proven itself in the fastest early Mallock "Clubman series" race cars of the 60's.

It's a light, clean front end that leans towards the traditional suspension style so it just might work well visually, as well as handling, in a performance road T.

Interesting....

Steakneggs, I too am planning an IFS build which I've posted about here before. Been doing tons of reading on it and came across this.

This guy goes very deep in to detail of building a mustang ii front crossmember and spring seats. It is designed to use very common mustang ii UCA, LCA, springs, rack, Etc. Definitely worth a read. If you can build a frame, you can build this crossmember assembly.

How to Mustang II, Deux!

I hope no one here has a problem with me posting links to a different message board, just thought it would be some helpful information.

When copying a existing design you need to make sure that it is in fact a good design. There are plenty of Mustang II kits out there with some being very good and others outright dangerous. You just have to hope you picked someones copy of another guys copy and hope it's correct. Suggestions of using plans of the Chapman style sports car is probably pretty good advise. Designing one from scratch is way more difficult then it might seem as I can attest to. There is a ton on necessary information you will need to get a good high performance handling suspension. If you are really serious about designing and fabricating your own front or rear independent system I highly recommend buying a good computer design program. When we decided to build the Scarabs back in 2004 I found a program that was very good and very reasonable. Sent a link up to Art Morrison and had his designers look at it. They bought it that day. At the time they were using Bill Mitchell's program but it wasn't user friendly. The link below will take you to the sight. Price is $300.00 US and that is a bargain. I realize that might seem like a lot of money but it will save you a ton of time. Hope this will help some of you that really want to build from the clean sheet up. They will let you play with a limited version on line. Good luck on whatever course you take.

George

SusProg3D
SusProg3D - Suspension by Design

When we decided to build the Scarabs back in 2004 I found a program that was very good and very reasonable. Sent a link up to Art Morrison and had his designers look at it. They bought it that day.
Care to share the name of the program you used?

Indycars... Didn't mean to post it that quick. The program is from a Australian company. Great people to work with. I have reloaded it several times over the years due to crashed or DOA computers and they always have turned me on with no charge. The offer a second licenses for $150.00. When we got hooked up with them I asked about a second license for a laptop as I traveled back and forth betweeen Kansas City and Arkansas. No problem and no extra charge but that might not be the case now. Just so you will know, Bill Mitchell passed away a few years ago and I don't think his family has released his program to date. Hope this will help you.

George

SusProg3D

www.susprog.com

No problem and no extra charge but that might not be the case now.
Thanks for the info. I love numbers and software that makes my dreams easier at an affordable price. Three Hundred dollars seems to fit most peoples dreams if they can also afford to build the output from the software. I'm not looking to build a TBucket front suspension, but I do find their possibilities very interesting.

I do recognize the name Bill Mitchel, just not sure why. Did he furnish some car manuals?

Thanks for the info. I love numbers and software that makes my dreams easier at an affordable price. Three Hundred dollars seems to fit most peoples dreams if they can also afford to build the output from the software. I'm not looking to build a TBucket front suspension, but I do find their possibilities very interesting.

I do recognize the name Bill Mitchel, just not sure why. Did he furnish some car manuals?

He was a GM designer among other things.

Bill Mitchell (automobile designer)

Bill Mitchell (automobile designer) - Wikipedia

Bill Mitchell's design vision shaped 5 decades of GM vehicles
Bill Mitchell's design vision shaped 5 decades of GM vehicles

Studio X: The Story of Bill Mitchell's Secret Styling Studio at General Motors
Studio X: The Story of Bill Mitchell's Secret Styling Studio at General Motors - Motor Trend

I knew his name sounded familiar !

So is a well set up BMW or a R34 Golf or a Ferrari.........or a!!!

Seen Stock Coupe's with a little tickling that would kill that...

Its not a hot rod.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back