Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I'm at a loss

Gary49

I got my T running today but not ready for the street yet. I have a real issue with the rear brakes. I have a manual master cylinder and frond rotors and discs from CCR. The rears are stock drums on an S10 Blazer rear end. I have residual valves installed along with a proportioning valve. I'm just moving back and forth in the garage and it slides the front tires. I cranked the valve in and out with no noticeable difference. I put the rear end up on jack stands and when in gear, I can barely push hard enough to stop the rear wheels. I have a good hard pedal and I don't know what to try next.

Have you pre-adjusted the rear brakes ?
I sure did. I have an idea though. I got the rear end from the junk yard and didn't know what year it was from. I put new wheel cylinders in it. The new ones were the same bolt pattern with 2 bolts holding it to the backing plate. That was a while back, but I seem to remember they seemed a little smaller. I'll bet I have 3/4" bores instead of 7/8" like in the 4WD. I'm going to get a pair of the bigger ones tomorrow and see if they fit.

The flow chart is quite long (9 pages) and didn't want to fill up the thread. So I made it an article
that you can reference when needed. It should be easier to find this way also. There is also a PDF
file that can be downloaded and saved for later.

Brake Diagnosis Flow Chart

I put the first page so you can get an idea how it looks.

BrakeDiagnosticFlowChart-1.jpg
Check out the link below for some technical videos.
Tech Tips

Sometimes I'm a real dumba##. I finally figured out that it's not the brakes, It's that damned 4L60E torque converter not unlocking. I have the purple and pink wires connected properly so it must be inside.

It's that damned 4L60E torque converter not unlocking.
I certainly wouldn't be mad at myself for that one, I would NOT be expecting that while
testing the brakes for the first time.

Do you smell something burnt ? Could you have damaged the clutches in the torque converter?

I certainly wouldn't be mad at myself for that one, I would NOT be expecting that while
testing the brakes for the first time.

Do you smell something burnt ? Could you have damaged the clutches in the torque converter?
No, nothing smells burnt. I even disconnected the wires and it still won't release. I guess the solenoid must be stuck.

Any luck yet, Gary?

Yes, I found an older thread on here a couple days ago about torque converters and got it figured out. With a car this light, the stock converter stall speed is too low and it wants to push at a stop light. I drove it around the block this afternoon and it's fine.

Gary, did you replace the stock converter with a more potent one? I need to know this, I'm looking for a converter right now for my stock SBC.

Gary, did you replace the stock converter with a more potent one? I need to know this, I'm looking for a converter right now for my stock SBC.
No, I still have the stock one. If you search this thread, Torque converter recommendation, on here it explains things pretty well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back