Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I'm back

rubicon

Been out of town for seven weeks. Got back just before Thanksgiving. I was up north in the woods with no internet access. Finally have time to surf the forum.
Before I left, I was out crusing when my engine started to sputter. Made it home but was unable to solve the problem before I went up north.
What I do d try was changed the coil, plugs, cap and rotor. Still sputters. It idles ok but, when I start to accelerate it sputters. Im thinking maybe I left some gasket debree in the carb when I replaced the accelerastor pump plugging the main curcuit.
If it was bad gas I think it would idle bad as well. Any suggestions. I'm running Rochester G2 carbs.

first thing I always do with odd issues is double check the timing. that damn hold down clamp on the distributor is notorious for being loose or slipping.

Are these the same symptoms that were originally evidenced ?
No, the accelerator pump was bad. After I replaced it the engine ran fine. I was cruising at 55 mph for a couple of miles when it started to sputter and require more pedal to keep speed.

Yesterday I replaced the gas in the T. Pumped out the Ethanol and put in the real gas. Took the car out and still had the same problem. Today I took the center carb apart and found a piece of gasket material stuck I one of the main metering jets. Cleaned it out checked everything else, started it up and went for short ride. Bingo! I even goosed it. I cant wait for next summer to get here. Not sure if I'm going to paint it this winter. Little short on cash.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back