Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Indiana/Florida fella here

larry foster

Been reading here for a while and have gleaned a bit of useful info from the different posters while building my T a couple years ago. I have been unsuccessful in posting pics except for the avatar but I figured i'd do a howdy and splain what kinda critter I ended up with.

Started with some 2x3 tube and found a frame plan online that I modified with a taper and other dimensions. Purchased a glass T body from Scotts Rods in Ohio, lots of odds and ends from swap meets and some items from Speedway and others. I have a 46 Flatty in the shop I intended to run in it but discovered it was too heavy to move around with the equipment I have. So.....leaning on my Garden Tractor Pulling days, I always liked the sound of a "built" v-twin and decided to go that route for power. Found a "big block" Kohler v-twin (1000cc) online and built it to 110hp. I am running that power thru a Midwest Super Cub, Cub Cadet competition pulling tractor clutch (8 Kevlar puck on aluminum) with a 900lb spring to clamp it, to a Ford Courier 4 speed, to a 65 Fairlane 8 inch with 4:11 cogs. During the build the benefits of the v-twin kept adding up......lightweight (me and a nuther fella can move it anywhere we want), no plumbing (air cooled), no belts(internal alternator) and so it went.

Replaced the drums on the 8 inch with disc and open the 900lb spring with a slave. Everything else is just common t-bucket stuff but I built a grain box type bed out of tongue and groove cherry with walnut stakes, and used a pony keg for fuel.

Always begs the question at shows "how fast does it go?". I will find out in October when a local Club has a open day at the Gnaw Bone 1/8 mile track and I can give all a no bs answer. However, I can assure you that it will run 60 all day Cruising with you. If there is any further interest I will try and get this picture posting of the build figured out.

P.S. Anyone need a good 46 Flatty?

Gee, Larry - That's definitely a different mill for a T-bucket! And you should have no difficulty getting rid of that flattie (envy-envy!!) Looking forward to your pics . . . :geek:
PS - And WELCOME from St Louis!

A Flatty would be nice to have. Unfortunately, no money in the budget for me and very little room to store. But...for the right price, Id find room.
Definitely need to get the picture issue worked out. I'd love to see some pics!

Here is a pic of Larry's T from the NTBA Nats. You definitely do a double-take when you see this T in person.

Reactions: RPM
(from Larry's post above)
"I am running that power thru a Midwest Super Cub, Cub Cadet competition pulling tractor clutch (8 Kevlar puck on aluminum) with a 900lb spring to clamp it, to a Ford Courier 4 speed, to a 65 Fairlane 8 inch with 4:11 cogs."

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back