Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

indicator lights

Mdrat

I have installed electric fan with American Autowire fan relay kit. Pretty much standard install. I even wired indicator light that will tell when fan is on, whether on with temp sensor or manual override. Thermostat opens at 165, fan on at 185 and off at 175. everything works as it should. Except I would like a separate light for fan on with temp sensor and separate light for fan on with manual override. I am running out of fuses, connectors, and the ability to crawl in and work sideways[lol]. Next rod WILL have doors! I have tried spdt switch, dpdt switch thinking if I separate each circuit it would work the way I want it to. Secondary, would be able to turn fan off so as not to overload anything when say, doing errands on Sat. morning. Maybe not doing it right. Idk. OK, sorry to be long winded! Is this possible or am I lost in the fact that temp sensor operates on the negative? How can I totally separate into 2 circuits to run 1 accessary? SIMPLE diagrams would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. Mark

How about a manual switch with a switch with on indicator on switch? Then if fan on manually you have two lights on.

Lot of people are at the nationals right now, so suggestions may be few right now.

If you could post a diagram of your wiring as it is right now would make it easier and any
answers would be closer to your exact situation.

I have never had a T-bucket without a door so I never thought about getting under the dash without half my body hanging out the door opening. I know I couldn't do it. I'm going to guess that your fan has constant positive connected to it that is energized when the ignition is turned on and the fan turns when the sensor completes the circuit by completing the ground. You can add a switch that will also complete the ground for manual override. Then add a light in each circuit that also gets its positive from the ignition and is tied into the wire that completes the ground from either the sensor or the switch.

Maybe I can attend the Nats one day. Thanks for response guys. Turns out I had defective dpdt switch straight out of the box. Very frustrating! Everything works as I wanted.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back