Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Installed my grill shell and Lokar shifter.

tfeverfred

Okay, after MUCH switching back and forth and trolling the internet, I decided to use a '28/'29 Model A grill on my T Bucket. I had been tossing between a Model A grill or a '32. The Model A won. First off, it was about half the cost and second, it would be a little different. I chose the chrome one that Speedway sells. Before I got it, I thought that I would have to trim a couple inces off the bottom for ground clearance, but it fit perfect. I used 1/2" squares heavy screen for the grill and attached it from the back with epoxy, after I cut it to fit.

I was originally going to attach the grill directly to the radiator tabs. Instead, I went to Lowes hardware and got 4 pieces of nylon (heavy plastic) 1" tubing. The spaces on the two bottom radiator tabs were exactly 1" from the grill and the nylon tubes fit perfectly. I used stainless steel bolts throughout.

grill1.jpg

grill2.jpg

On the two top tabs, I had to trim the nylon tubes about 1/8" and at an angle to match the curve of the top of the shell. I also got a 15" colant recovery tank and attached it to the grill. It's held in place by the bottom right nylon piece and a stainless bolt (provided with the tank) at the top mount which is diectly to the tank. The hose for the coolant tank runs along it's side and is mostly hidden by the grill shell.

grill4.jpg

grill3.jpg

In the above pic, the flash is too bright and you really can't see the grill. In person, the frame of the radiator is not so visible. The chrome on the shell is very good. I had thought about painting the radiator flat black to hide it more, but I like the look it has and I'm going to stick with it. If I change my mind later, it's just a matter of removing 4 bolts to get the shell off.

The Speedway shell has all the provisions for cowl to radiator supports, but the whole assembley is mounted very firm. I may use the supports for looks later on.

Next up was the Lokar shifter. I had considered using the one Total sells, but decided on the Lokar unit instead. It looks better and I liked the push button for shifting gears. My next consideration was room. I went with the 6" shifter. Not to small, not too tall. The Total shifter is designed to fit on the right hand side of the transmission tail and in park, it's flush with the floor. I just felt that if I had a passenger, they might want a little room too, plus if they had big feet, they wouldn't hit the shifter by mistake.

grill6.jpg

The Lokar instructions are very good, but you HAVE TO READ THEM FIRST! Naturally, I didn't and I ended up playing with it for a while. It shifts great. Good, firm movement between the gears. The push button uses teflon on the inside and it seemed to want to stick a couple times, but the more I played with it, the better it worked. After a little use, it should be perfect.

Looking good. That shape still pleases me better than the 23 shell. I like mine better every day. Glad you got the shifter on so easy, I didn't. Hope you don't have to do as much chopping to the body, as I did. Your making good progress, should be cruising as soon as it's warm???:D

Thanks, Lancek. It came out very well. The photos are nothing compared to what it looks like in person. I love the shape and that big hunk of shine up front is going to go well with the black body color I'm going with.

Yea, I sat on my seat mock up and the location and height of the shifter is how I like it. I'm fairly sure I'll either have to trim the floor a little or modify the transmission hump or both. Not much, but a little.

Fred, that grill looks great! I like the "look" that you have going with yours. I'm sure it looks a lot better in person. Keep the pictures coming.

lanceks1 said:
Looking good. That shape still pleases me better than the 23 shell. I like mine better every day. Glad you got the shifter on so easy, I didn't. Hope you don't have to do as much chopping to the body, as I did. Your making good progress, should be cruising as soon as it's warm???:D

Hey, Lancek, last night I had to make a stop at Lowes hardware. They have chrome plated plugs to fit the holes in thr grill shell. The size you need is 3/4". They went in VERY easy and really finish it off.

Okay. So this morning I get up and decide to paint the radiator, but I only painted the front. No need to do the rear because it look good the way it is. IMO of course.

I used semi flat black. I roughed up the aluminum surface with steel wool, wiped with a damp cloth, then went over it with a tack cloth.

I used a light spray (Krylon to the rescue) and let it dry. While it was drying, I bought another roll of wire screen. This is in 1/8" square pattern. I cut it so it could fit in the space between the front edges of the radiator and the coils. It is flexible for easy removal and install. This will be to catch bugs. Just remove the grill, remove the insert, spray it down and return in place. Well, it sounds like it will work.:D

Once everything was dry, I reassembled. I think the results speak for themselves.

BEFORE:

grill3.jpg

AFTER:

hotrod011.jpg

hotrod010.jpg

Nice touch, looks great!!

Youngster said:
Nice touch, looks great!!

Thanks! My imagination was REALLY clicking this morning.:lol: I measured the opening for the radiator cap, then made a trip to the grocery store. You should have seen this lady looking at me measure the tops of the jarred food. I found a bottle of marinated artichokes and the top measued out perfect. Cost: $1.59

So, I took a wire wheel to it to get the painted on label off. Here's the result:

hotrod012.jpg

Am I crazy enough to use it?:D COME ON! I'm the same guy who drove his chassis and made a movie of it! :lol:Of course I'm going to use it! If anything, just because it will be something to talk about and grin over. I'll shoot it with a light coat of clear after I clean it up some more.

Looking REAL Sweet Fred you can be proud of the little Lady.She shoor gona look sweet.(notice the Texas dialect there):D

I noticed that your grill matches those friction shocks. Nice look Fred. I'm looking forward taking some more pictures of mine, as soon as I do something esle to it.

thomas:)

Rick said:
Looking REAL Sweet Fred you can be proud of the little Lady.She shoor gona look sweet.(notice the Texas dialect there):D

Thanks Rick and welcome to the "dark side". :lol:

thomas said:
I noticed that your grill matches those friction shocks. Nice look Fred. I'm looking forward taking some more pictures of mine, as soon as I do something esle to it.

thomas:)

Thanks, Thomas. Unfortunately for me, it may be a while before I add anything else.:sad: I have a little stuck away for my body and I REALLY should have used the money for I spent for my grill shell to add to it, but once I figured out how the grill shell could work, I went for it. Oh well....... shoot me.:D

wow fred that shell looks great !!!!

i might just order one from speedway

i was think about getting my fiberglass one chromed
but that does look sweet

datonamanmike said:
wow fred that shell looks great !!!!

i might just order one from speedway

i was think about getting my fiberglass one chromed
but that does look sweet

Go for it! I couldn't beat the price and the shine is unreal in the sunlight!:cool: I got the Ford emblem from Speedway too. Kinda makes up for no one offering a chrome '23 shell.;) The push to see it with my body painted black is STRONG!

Looks great Fred:D

I think I may hafta order me one of those shells too:cool:

Vance

:lol:Speedy Bills gonna owe me a commission check.

butch27 said:
Fred: Do you think pickled beets would work also? I have a jar in the fridge. LOL

What brand?;)

Looks great Fred, the color combo is right on I think. The individual makeup of colors definately makes the difference. I noticed the red shade much more on the recent pics?? Really like that shade, and red isn't my favorite. I filled all of the open holes on the shell with chromed hole covers I got at my second home, "The Chrome Guy". The plating was much better than the HW store variety. I might not have posted the front of my shell since I put the Blue Oval on. I like it as a finish to the shell. I'll bet it's alot prettier than the one Henry put on.

When a friend filled in the cowl on his A, I took the neck and installed it in the shell with the cap.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back