Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Installing Brakes with Radir 12 spoke wheels - Question

JP1

I am wanting to install disc brakes on my bucket. I am currently running radir 12 spoke spindle mount wheels w/o brakes. My question is related to clearance required for the rotor. I am worried that the bolt/nut from the steering rod wishbone piece on the left side will invade the clearance needed for the rotor. To try to describe it… there is a plate on the spindle with four holes in it that the caliper will mount to. On the driver's side of the car, there is a wishbone shaped piece with threaded ends. the threaded ends from this wishbone piece go into the top two holes of the four hole plate. The nuts slightly invade the area around the edge of the wheel hub. As I am a newbee, I am unable to attach a photo showing the issue so hopefully I am making myself clear . Is a spacer needed to move the wheel away from from the frame? Anyone have any experience with this. thanks for any advice.

You will most likely have to modify/ replace the steering arm , then there's connecting the rotors to the wheels !!?

I have Wilwood 175 disc brakes on the front of 2 T-buckets with Radir 12 spoke wheels. You don't need to monkey with steering arms or anything else, just get the proper brake mounting brackets and rotors. My brackets came from CCR and the rotors from Total Performance, but Speedway sells them now. The rotors are stainless steel and I believe you have to call and ask for them, they are not in any catalog. If you need a part number I may be able to dig around and find it.

Thanks to all. 409T would you mind sending a photos of drivers side of your setup. I have posted a photo in my avatar of the steering wishbone and nut that I am talking about. You can see the nut slightly intrudes in the space directly above the hub of the wheel. Thanks for the advice on the rotors. will do.

Yep, that looks the same but my bracket isn't chrome. JP1, I'll see if I can get a picture of my front end. The problem is that all my t-buckets are stored at a friend's house because I am painting my Model A in the garage. Yes Jerry, I am finally going to finish it.

I will be putting mine together within the the month and will take some pictures. Hopefully all goes well.

ya have same prob. need some adv.on how the rotor will mount on wheels have the 4 holes for backing plate but?
Perhaps your wheels aren’t designed for brakes. I have old school spindle mounts on mine and had to have them machined and adapters made to mount rotors. It’s not easy or cheap to do. I wouldn’t have done it except I was determined to use the old magnesium real deal wheels that came with my car and my best friend is a good machinist.

I have the old mag wheels as well and thought about going the route you did. After some cost analysis, I think the way to go is to change the old wheels out to the newer aluminum type which are prepared for the rotors.

I have the old mag wheels as well and thought about going the route you did. After some cost analysis, I think the way to go is to change the old wheels out to the newer aluminum type which are prepared for the rotors.
I would post pics of mine to show you what we had to do but I’m not sure if I can post pics to this site anymore since the photo share site mess. If you have to pay a machinist, it will not be cheap. It’s much more than simply machining the wheels because it cuts into the seal seat location and there isn’t enough material to mount the rotor. We made an adapter out of stainless that allows a standard rotor to mount to my twelve spoke spindle mounts. The seal now installs into the adapter. We could have made custom rotors instead, but unless you make spares, future replacement would be a pain. Since I had ordered a spindle mounts brake kit, we opted to make it so standard rotors would simply bolt on.

You can down load pics to your desk top from Photo Bucket. No third party sharing that way. It took me two days to get all my pictures ---except the 250 they deleted. Put in a separate folder or in pictures next to down loads.

You can down load pics to your desk top from Photo Bucket. No third party sharing that way. It took me two days to get all my pictures ---except the 250 they deleted. Put in a separate folder or in pictures next to down loads.
I have all of my pics either on my laptop, which I seldom use, or my iPad. I did have an account setup on photo bucket just for this site and when they got greedy, I stopped posting pics. The problem is resizing every time... I just don’t share pics often and don’t have a resizing ap, or whatever. This is the only site that I visit that is a problem. I can simply share them everywhere else, one click. I understand it’s a data storage issue for the site, but it could be easier. Thanks for your helpful input!

Fletcherson, don't know which windows you have, but you can do mass re-size using windows micrsosoft picture editor.

Fletcherson, don't know which windows you have, but you can do mass re-size using windows micrsosoft picture editor.
Ive been using an iPad... thanks for the tip! I might get the old laptop out and repost some pics. I haven’t been working on the T so no new pics to post, I was just going to post some pics of the work we done to install brake rotors on the twelve spoke mags for a new member. I’m sure Apple will sell me an app too, I really tire of learning new ways to do old things, lol.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back