Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It came today!

Are you going to use some sort of cross steering?

Probably, I haven't figured that out yet...any suggestions? I would like to keep the tie rod behind the front axle...

Tie rod behind the front axle is easy to do whether you use cross steering like you would usually get from a Vega box, or more conventional steering such as with a Corvair box and the drag link roughly parallel to the frame rail. I only asked because I saw the panhard bar in the pic. Here's a little trivia - The panhard bar was invented by Panhard et Levassor Motor Co. around 1890 in France. The proper pronunciation =

The Spirit chassis is set up for traditional steering, using a Vega box. The panhard bar on the front end is necessary with the traditional steering. I changed my chassis to cross steer by moving the steering box mount forward on the frame rail, and redesigning the steering column.
T strng box welded.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Spanky, what are the advantages of "cross steer" over traditional? I was planning on using a Vega box, I need to look at some steering schematics and figure this out soon. I'm putting on the spindles next.

I appreciate the correct pronunciation of panhard, 409T, but the guys at the swap meets might think I'm looking for French pastry instead of a suspension support.

This is probably the set up I'll go with, the vega box bracket is already in place on my frame.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 42

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back