Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It steers

Pushrod

I finished putting the steering column in today. Most of the work was in fortifying the firewall with a steel plate for attaching the firewall mounted flange bearing and the outside body work where the steering rod comes through.56323611149__25EE1F27-D780-4670-AFDA-A00D7F0B19D1.JPG

I picked up a nice piece of aluminum sheet for the firewall when the time comes. Until then, I'll have to look at the black hole. It steers left and right at this point...so that's a good thing.IMG_1861.jpg

I had to offset my straight pitman arm with the torch to clear the frame. If you have a Spirit frame with the steering box bracket you'll have to do this.....or purchase an offset arm from Spirit.IMG_1862.jpg

Looking good!

I get so envious, seeing everyone already working on their rides, and my kit hasn't even shipped yet . . .

Be patient, it will be worth the wait. Besides, while you have warm days all year to work on yours, guys like me will be shutting down my build because I don't have heat in the garage.

Be patient, it will be worth the wait. Besides, while you have warm days all year to work on yours, guys like me will be shutting down my build because I don't have heat in the garage.

At least you have a garage . . .

I got one of these from Amazon to build and keep the T in:

There really are not that many garages here, though because of the sun, you'd expect there would be . .

Perhaps they do not fare well in big hurricanes . . .

At least you have a garage . . .

I got one of these from Amazon to build and keep the T in:

There really are not that many garages here, though because of the sun, you'd expect there would be . .

Perhaps they do not fare well in big hurricanes . . .
I watched one of my garages get destroyed by wind. Strait line wind blew the overhead door in, then lifted the garage off its foundation and one side wall was ripped from it and thrown out into a field. The garage then tilted up on one corner, the missing corner. It happened in a minute. I repaired it, but what a mess. It was an older 1.5 car garage that was built well, 1”x tongue and groove siding and roof sheeting, insulated with osb covering the inside walls... heavy. Mother Nature wins. Nice job on the steering! Coming along.

Tackling the steering part of my own project gives me anxiety. Yours looks good.

I don't have much protection from the elements either. The corrugated tin roof ,which covers my project , is on 10' high pipes. The rain runs off the north end of the roof & right into my bucket body. If it's windy, the wind blows the rain under the high roof from 2 sides ( north & west ).

You're coming right along sir. Nice work. I'm just the opposite when it comes to the weather. I'm waiting on winter so it will be cool enough in my garage to finish my interior. Interior work is the hardest part for me.:(:(

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back