Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jarrett's 27 roadster

Does anyone know where to find 10 inch back tires and 4 inch front tires. The back tires i want the most grip(no slicks)

Cost for cost if you want more power out of the lower end just get a 350 cheap,, or if you want to go nostalgia rout a 327 .. but I would say pound for pound in the nostalgia vintage sbc a 283 is the best only you are not fitting a bigger crank in it.
Here is the deal with an old 283 (maybe find one at a wreckers for $100).. you have to buy a new cam and lifters anyway. .and you already have the 305 heads ( could be the ones you want ..research squish and chamber volume).. now do a bit more research on the 305 connecting rods, what piston pin height do you need to be at for an 11:1 compression ratio. Also consider factory head gaskets are .040 and with a bit of research you can get .020 .(this effects squish and compression). You can mix and match some parts, problem is used parts wear to the original parts they were bolted on, so you can't just take an old set of rods and bolt them onto another old crank without problems, things have to be machined to be trued back up and fit good. Money

Here's a summary of modifications to a 305 and the final outcome was 325 HP! That's plenty in a T-bucket.

Attachments

• 325HP 305 CHEVY.pdf
    481.5 KB · Views: 58
Here's a summary of modifications to a 305 and the final outcome was 325 HP! That's plenty in a T-bucket.
There ya go Jarrett. That's all ya need right there buddy. Start saving that yard mowing money and get that engine built.:thumbsup:

yeah, but check out the RPM they are pulling to make that power. Yes the 305 will rev pretty good, but I prefer more grunt and power at a lower, street friendly rpm (Jarrett isn't racing this ya know) - the Super Victor intake isn't exactly the best for that. Although I like the idea of using the Vortec heads -maybe a performer RPM (or sim) and matched cam would be a better compromise. Just my .02!

yeah, but check out the RPM they are pulling to make that power. Yes the 305 will rev pretty good, but I prefer more grunt and power at a lower, street friendly rpm (Jarrett isn't racing this ya know) - the Super Victor intake isn't exactly the best for that. Although I like the idea of using the Vortec heads -maybe a performer RPM (or sim) and matched cam would be a better compromise. Just my .02!
I may drag race here and there

yeah, but check out the RPM they are pulling to make that power.
That is SO IMPORTANT. A Briggs & Stratton will show big HP numbers if you get the rev's high enough.

That is SO IMPORTANT. A Briggs & Stratton will show big HP numbers if you get the rev's high enough.
When my grandson was junior dragster racing, I got 44 HP out of a Bored and stroked, ported and relieved on a basic 5 HP Brigs. On Alcohol of course.
Remember them Outlaw days RPM. What ever happened to Huddleston and Haddock?

Some times that is just impossible to do for me as I have already stuck my foot in my mouth and swallowed my knee!!:roflmao::roflmao::whistling::whistling::speechless::speechless::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Even a mild sbc making 200 hp or so will feel strong in a light car. Look at gm crate 350 engines... low hp, but are common in wreckers, dump trucks, etc... they have plenty of power. You could build a mild mannered street friendly motor that won’t eat you out of house and home for parts, machine work, and fuel, dial it in to work with your choice of transmission, rear end gears, and tire size and have a very fun, practicle car without breaking the bank on building a motor that’s likely overkill for the application. Spend your money on parts that make the most difference for the big picture and are able to be reused on other engines, etc... Do your calculations to match rpm, torque, power band, etc to realistic driving condition expectations, desktop dyno, etc are easy applications to help do this. Get everything else the way that you like, then you can enjoy the car while gathering stuff for your dream engine... just a thought. Don’t get all hung up on hp numbers, hp is more rpm related... useable torque at operating rpm is what makes the car feel strong, etc. I raced Pontiacs for a while, they make big torque numbers at low rpm and relatively low hp... I smoked many hi rev, high hp, big dollar built engines with relatively mild built engines. Custom cars are never really finished anyways, lol..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back