Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Just finished welding my frame, need help with bracket questions

You have to remember what changes you're making to the original plans. CCR has the spring ABOVE the spring perch with the spring BEHIND a 4" drop axle (I believe). You have a 5" drop axle with the spring on top. You have to figure out the height lost going from behind the axle to above with the spring, plus the 1" you gain from difference the axle drops. I don't know if you can put lowering blocks on CCR's perch to adjust for the difference (Jerry?) or get one made like CCR's but ~ 2-3" taller. I like the spring on top IMHO!

You have to remember what changes you're making to the original plans. CCR has the spring ABOVE the spring perch with the spring BEHIND a 4" drop axle (I believe). You have a 5" drop axle with the spring on top. You have to figure out the height lost going from behind the axle to above with the spring, plus the 1" you gain from difference the axle drops. I don't know if you can put lowering blocks on CCR's perch to adjust for the difference (Jerry?) or get one made like CCR's but ~ 2-3" taller. I like the spring on top IMHO!
So I know the above spring perch will adjust my ride hieght, assuming the axle above will to, correct? As long as im still a good distance off the ground should I be okay?

Now remember i inherited this stuff, i didnt buy it lol so kind of just going off the parts that I have.
Is there other plans I can look at as well as CCR? I only found one other and wasnt able to follow it very well.

Like this . . .

custom-ccr-front-end-tgdszd-1200px-2-jpg.15939

There are a ton of considerations made when setting up a front suspension properly , if you're not going to follow a tried and true set of plans to the letter and you don't want to take the time to educate yourself completely on designing your own , then it's very likely that you'll end up with an I'll handling, if not unsafe, vehicle.
I know , I'm the curmudgeon in the crowd , but I've seen some of these efforts , they're scary. Many , if not most , don't realize the knowledge it takes to PROPERLY set up a car. It's worrisome to me when someone with no. experience or education (about chassis design) is being encouraged by folks on the internet to go ahead , you can do it , we can help . I
say Uhhhhh , maybe......

There are a ton of considerations made when setting up a front suspension properly , if you're not going to follow a tried and true set of plans to the letter and you don't want to take the time to educate yourself completely on designing your own , then it's very likely that you'll end up with an I'll handling, if not unsafe, vehicle.
I know , I'm the curmudgeon in the crowd , but I've seen some of these efforts , they're scary. Many , if not most , don't realize the knowledge it takes to PROPERLY set up a car. It's worrisome to me when someone with no. experience or education (about chassis design) is being encouraged by folks on the internet to go ahead , you can do it , we can help . I
say Uhhhhh , maybe......

You are being a curmudgeon. Everyone is not as talented as you. Don't dis-sway anyone from a dream. It's only money and theirs. They will finally get it done to be safe and fun and hopefully enjoy for a long time. It seems as he has a plan and so let him stick to it.

say Uhhhhh , maybe......

Well thats why Im here so I can get some advice from the experts because this my first car ive built and I will need some help lol
With that being said I am very excited about building this car and seeing her on the road this year.
Getting parts and things arent an issue for me except currently cause Im somewhat laid off from work.
But when the season kicks off again I should have this car done within about 6 months. If I find the time to do it all lol

With that being said, I do as well like the spring on top of the perch and thats the way I was planning on doing that (following the plans). But, my setup that I got from my grandpa looks to be an over the axle leaf instead of a behind the axle.

Im sure ill make mistakes while building this car and when that time comes, ill redo it lol its a learning curve.
And in different stages of my build I will take the car to shops to have it inspected. Like when the frame is fully finished with the suspension, I will take it to a shop to have the alignment checked.

I do plan on having a safe car, thats for sure :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I still get a belly full of butterflies every time I put a new car on the road or track. I find myself going over the car double & triple checking everything. First hundred miles is a little uneasy and the first 100+ mph bonzi I usually have a death grip on the wheel. :eek:

As far as 2O2F being a curmudgeon, he is gruff and doesn't sugar coat. I personally can appreciate that and in some ways much the same. He seems to think people such as myself want our egos stroked with the pictures we post. That is not my intent when I do post them. My intent is that someone less knowledgeable can see how something is done or someone with more knowledge can point out something I did wrong or perhaps has a better way. NO ONE knows everything. :rolleyes:

The point of this forum is for folks to come together and learn. Not everyone is a craftsman or has been around cars most of their life. Everyone has to start somewhere and the best way to learn is by doing. Sure, like others on here I have seen cars I would consider unsafe, but what we don't know is what resources and budget they had to work with. Point is, they took the bull by the horns and did it and probably had more fun than me doing it.

So irishluck, I wish you all the best and look forward to following your progress. You started out here asking questions so you are already on your way to a successful project. :thumbsup:

jm2c ;)

While I.admire Irishlucks' youthful exuberance , I see a lack of knowledge/experience by his thinking he'll be done by summer. If he was bolting together a complete kit , maybe , but with parts from here and there and no experience , I highly doubt it . BTW , I've ALWAYS rather I was told the truth rather be than be " stroked" ...

While I.admire Irishlucks' youthful exuberance , I see a lack of knowledge/experience by his thinking he'll be done by summer. If he was bolting together a complete kit , maybe , but with parts from here and there and no experience , I highly doubt it . BTW , I've ALWAYS rather I was told the truth rather be than be " stroked" ...

Im not saying im an expert by any means but I am very smart and learn very fast. Ive worked on vehicles for over 15 years so I do have a decent amount of knowledge in mechanics and welding. I say 6 months because I only work 3-4 days a week and make pretty good money. Once I start a project, I dont stop till its done. Hence the 6 month time frame :)

Obvouisly this car is a bit different than other cars I have worked on but, mechanics are mechanics. I think with a little advice and guidance in this forum, ill be alright.
I aint no snowflake ;)

I can assure you 2old2fast that I plan on building a safe car and I know my way around a garage:)

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I still get a belly full of butterflies every time I put a new car on the road or track. I find myself going over the car double & triple checking everything. First hundred miles is a little uneasy and the first 100+ mph bonzi I usually have a death grip on the wheel. :eek:

As far as 2O2F being a curmudgeon, he is gruff and doesn't sugar coat. I personally can appreciate that and in some ways much the same. He seems to think people such as myself want our egos stroked with the pictures we post. That is not my intent when I do post them. My intent is that someone less knowledgeable can see how something is done or someone with more knowledge can point out something I did wrong or perhaps has a better way. NO ONE knows everything. :rolleyes:

The point of this forum is for folks to come together and learn. Not everyone is a craftsman or has been around cars most of their life. Everyone has to start somewhere and the best way to learn is by doing. Sure, like others on here I have seen cars I would consider unsafe, but what we don't know is what resources and budget they had to work with. Point is, they took the bull by the horns and did it and probably had more fun than me doing it.

So irishluck, I wish you all the best and look forward to following your progress. You started out here asking questions so you are already on your way to a successful project. :thumbsup:

jm2c ;)

Thanks for the advice and helping me along with this. Im no means new to mechanics, but I am new to building a car from the ground up lol
I would never drive a car that is unsafe on the road. That would put my life and others in danger.

Im just here to hopefully gain some advice and knowledge from everyone on here on building this exciting project. Learn from the experts they say.
Obvouisly there are little tips and tricks that everyone knows that work better to do certain things and thats knowledge to know.

I look forward to sharing my progress with you all as well!

I found a few pictures of a chassis we did for a customer in a similar situation to yours. He was wanting to build a Track nosed T, so a few things were changed to fit that nose. I think we ended up using most of the front end parts he brought, including the standard eye spring, those parts were from a friends Model A project.
Obviously your front end will sit higher than the spring behind style in the Plans, but with the 5" drop axle and reversed spring it won't be too high (although that's up to you).
The other thing one of the pictures shows is the angle of the front perch I was trying to explain in an earlier post.
Hope this clears things up a bit.
Track T Front End  tgdszd.jpg Track T Front End  tgdszd (2).jpg Track T Front End  tgdszd (3).jpg Track T Front End  tgdszd (4).jpg

Just a few thoughts. Everyone has to start somewhere. None of us are born with any kind of experience. We have to gather it over time. Being taught and gaining experience are the way to get there. I think it's wise to listen to us old farts. We may be old but the knowledge we have is quite valuable. The point 2old2fast made should be well taken. I'm sure none us would knowingly build an unsafe car but, and that's a big but, because what you don't know you don't know you don't know.
In other words, you could be building an unsafe car without knowing you are doing that. Just because you don't know any better.
Just sayin'.

Irish good luck with your build. I think you will have a nice and safe bucket when your done. Your willingness to come here and ask questions proves that. Spirit and Speedway have a bunch of videos on YouTube of various builds and different things, look that the builds on here also. Never be afraid to ask questions. The ls engine is a great platform, the heads are amazing and make big horsepower.

I found a few pictures of a chassis we did for a customer in a similar situation to yours. He was wanting to build a Track nosed T, so a few things were changed to fit that nose. I think we ended up using most of the front end parts he brought, including the standard eye spring, those parts were from a friends Model A project.
Obviously your front end will sit higher than the spring behind style in the Plans, but with the 5" drop axle and reversed spring it won't be too high (although that's up to you).
The other thing one of the pictures shows is the angle of the front perch I was trying to explain in an earlier post.
Hope this clears things up a bit.
View attachment 15957 View attachment 15958 View attachment 15959 View attachment 15960

Ah now I see more what your were mentioning about the leaf perch. And you were saying it should be between 5-7 degrees.
In your professional opinion, what would be more ideal? Offsetting that leaf perch with my current front end setup or purchasing an adjustable spring/axle bracket?

Since I prolly will get your guys leaf perch to mount the leaf on top of the bracket, is there anything else i can do to have the frame sit lower with what I have besides switching to a leaf behind setup? I guess one way would be to modify the frames front end like in the pictures and make it a little higher. But I may just suck it up and deal with the frame height how it is lol

Just a few thoughts. Everyone has to start somewhere. None of us are born with any kind of experience. We have to gather it over time. Being taught and gaining experience are the way to get there. I think it's wise to listen to us old farts. We may be old but the knowledge we have is quite valuable. The point 2old2fast made should be well taken. I'm sure none us would knowingly build an unsafe car but, and that's a big but, because what you don't know you don't know you don't know.
In other words, you could be building an unsafe car without knowing you are doing that. Just because you don't know any better.
Just sayin'.

Thanks for the advice and Im always open to advice from the guys who have built these cars and know what there doing.
I just dont want to give the assumption that I dont know my way around a wrench or a garage lol Ive worked in shops and have been around mechanics since I was 10 years old.
Ive never built a car though so its a first.
An unsafe car is the last thing I want to build, which is why ill have the frame inspected and different parts of the car inspected in different stages of my build
by local hot rod shops. Even when I get the car titled it will have to have a full inspection to be put on the road.

But again, I am alwaaaays open to advice! :D

Irish good luck with your build. I think you will have a nice and safe bucket when your done. Your willingness to come here and ask questions proves that. Spirit and Speedway have a bunch of videos on YouTube of various builds and different things, look that the builds on here also. Never be afraid to ask questions. The ls engine is a great platform, the heads are amazing and make big horsepower.

Yea ive been watching a bunch of videos on youtube already lol Thanks for the advice

Im looking forward to getting my LS :D

I would probably do both, but that's up to you. On our T-Bucket frames the perch is actually pitched up about 2.5 degrees so it looks somewhat flat to the ground with the rake of the frame. Then we get the rest of the layback of the axle with the shackle hangers. I think it looks better that way not having such an obvious "tilt" to the front end. The picture of the front of our frame shows it, but it's hard to tell.
It will be fine either way you do it, as long as it results in the axle having that layback. You asked what I would do, and I rarely do things the simple way!
CCR Frame Details tgdszd (12).jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back