Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lesson learned

Dan Noecker

You MUST, and I mean MUST, chase the threads on all parts that have been chromed. Or you end up with what happened to me here. I need not explain more.IMG_6643.JPG

Definitely- I also like to brush on a small dose of antiseize- keeps them from rusting together over the years.

That sucks. I've made some chasers 'cause the sets sold are so expensive. I bought some grade 8 nuts in coarse and fine thread 1/4" to 3/4".

Then at each point I filed a half circle into them with a carbide coping saw blade. The work really well.

chaser.jpg cope blade.jpg

Been there, done that. PITA

Like running a 1mm thick cut off disk down a bolt 3 times. Presto a thread chaser. Got me out of a tight spot more than once.

I've had nyloc nuts that had really hard nylon in them and that cause the nut and bolt to bind so tight I could not get them apart. At first I thought I cross threaded the two only to find out it was the nylon. So I started tapping the nuts first. I was using stainless steel nuts on stainless bolts.

Stainless will gall like that and break off. Anti seize is the standard for preventing it.
I've tried to get into the habit of using it on everything... it makes future service much more pleasant. Hard to get off the skin sometimes. I prefer the copper, but I usually have to order it.

Just an observation about galling S/S and chrome hardware. If you've done it, did you notice how that "Oh crap" moment just suddenly happens? In my experiences, the bolts seem to be going on fine, for as many as 10-15 threads and then, suddenly..... URGHHHH! If the parts weren't so expensive, it would almost be funny.

That's it...... carry on.

Chrome is very hard. The good stuff anyway. Use oil on the die.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back