Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lift off Top

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
I find the C-Cab Pickup kinda interesting.I have some 1/2 thin wall electrical conduet at work and the standard benders.I have the Total performance"Anniversary Body".My project would be to make a lift off hard top using the tubing as a base for?There is my delema WHAT TO USE Glass?PVC 1/8 sheeting?Or the Bid Daddy Roth Method of Chicken wire and plaster before glassing it using it as a buck mold.Any ideas guys?Maybe this is a good one for Spirit to tackle.

Rick said:
I find the C-Cab Pickup kinda interesting.I have some 1/2 thin wall electrical conduet at work and the standard benders.I have the Total performance"Anniversary Body".My project would be to make a lift off hard top using the tubing as a base for?There is my delema WHAT TO USE Glass?PVC 1/8 sheeting?Or the Bid Daddy Roth Method of Chicken wire and plaster before glassing it using it as a buck mold.Any ideas guys?Maybe this is a good one for Spirit to tackle.

I found this photo not long ago. Interesting Idea.

vbpgimage.php

I'm rolling an idea around in my head about a copy of the Dan Woods "Ice Truck". I'm going to try to make a female mold out of plywood covered with some plastic stuff like they use in bathrooms so the outside will be slick to cut down on the bodywork needed when I'm done. Have not put gooey stuff to slick stuff yet, but I'm close. I'll post pictures if I can figure out how...if I'm not a miserable failure at the idea.

Rick said:

Here's picture of the Body from Rod-n-Race.

vbpgimage.php

I have made 2 lift off hard tops for both the bucket and the tub. I used thin tubing as you have, and welded it together. Laid thin shet metal or aluminum on top and heald it all together with the shiny duc tape. Glass won't stick to the shiny duc tape. Then laid 1 thin layer of glass all over and let it kick. Then took it all apart and got out the metal and duc tape. Put tah one thin layer of glass back on the frake work. Glass it to the frame, then added several more layers of glass. If you keep it all smooth, then paint it flat color it kinda looks like cloth. Worked for me.

http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page9.html

Thanks Ron thats kinda the process i was thinking. i do like the Rod an Race C-Cab Pickup body cause it's extended but i'm stuck with an already painted body.I wish i could use Photo shop i downloaded three of there pics and i could cut and paste the top on to see how it looks.Oh well i guess i'll find out soon enough.

I've seen other pics of the one GT63 posted (#2). That would be cool on an extended body.

Ron

Looks like that body is extended or just might be the camers optics cause it looks all squashed distorted.

RPM said:
I have made 2 lift off hard tops for both the bucket and the tub. I used thin tubing as you have, and welded it together. Laid thin shet metal or aluminum on top and heald it all together with the shiny duc tape. Glass won't stick to the shiny duc tape. Then laid 1 thin layer of glass all over and let it kick. Then took it all apart and got out the metal and duc tape. Put tah one thin layer of glass back on the frake work. Glass it to the frame, then added several more layers of glass. If you keep it all smooth, then paint it flat color it kinda looks like cloth. Worked for me.

http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page9.html

How did you do the rear curves upward on the top?My body heads north real quick the back is raised by 3 " i think and the sides are lowered 3 "i think.What i mean is how did you curve the bottom of the top to meet the top of the body

Rick said:
Thanks Ron thats kinda the process i was thinking. i do like the Rod an Race C-Cab Pickup body cause it's extended but i'm stuck with an already painted body.I wish i could use Photo shop i downloaded three of there pics and i could cut and paste the top on to see how it looks.Oh well i guess i'll find out soon enough.

The Rod-n-Race C-cab pickup body is 52" from cowl to rear.

GT63 said:
The Rod-n-Race C-cab pickup body is 52" from cowl to rear.
Yep thats what the stats said.I'm gonna try to incorporate that top as a lift off for my Total performance body.

My plan is a bobtail. but I'm going to make a Ccab panel (short!) that bolts on. my plan is plywood and urthane with maybe glass on the inside.
Mike in ep

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back