Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Light wherever I need it.

choppinczech

I rigged this up at work. An office chair base. A microphone stand. And an LED flashlight.

DSCN2907.jpeg

The flashlight adjusts from a wide angle to a point. It's easy to move around and adjust for nearly any position. The arm extends out in two sections and the light can be pointed up, down or sideways.

DSCN2905.jpeg

DSCN2906.jpeg

The super bright LED is especially nice for welding since I have trouble seeing what I'm doing.

Welding was my first thought too. That is a great idea.

I have one of these, but I go through the extra lenses pretty quick. It's cumbersome and not very bright.
light.jpg

I have two small lights that clip to my helmet. I think it is a Miller accessory. Works great. Takes 2 AAA batteries each.

Hmmm... I might have to add that to the whole ensemble.

That'd be some serious light.

Light getting in the back of welding helmet is very problematic for me. I won’t go into all of the things I do to reduce glare, focus light... getting old sucks!

Just curious, when using a light on your welding helmet are you finding the light helpful before the arc is started or also while you are welding?
I’ve been using an Optrel Crystal 2.0 helmet and it’s amazing. Before striking the arc, it is almost perfectly clear and during welding the color is so much better than any of my other helmets.

I’ve been using an Optrel Crystal 2.0 helmet and it’s amazing.

I'd like to try a nice helmet like that.

Maybe I'm not as bad as I think if I could see.

My old helmet was a 3M Speedglas 9100 and I liked it, but for me it is night and day difference between it and the Optrel. 95% of my welding is Tig and I can weld a lot better when I can see. Lol
As I have gotten older, my eyes aren’t quite what they used to be. I use a cheater lens in the welding helmet and use safety reader glasses that are full lens instead of bi focal. I keep 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 glasses around the shop and use a different color eyeglass strap based off of the magnification so they are easy to find the right one for what I’m working on.

Check this out.

DSCN2908.jpeg

Two of these Coast HX5 flashlights with wide flood or bulls eye and 345 lumens.

DSCN2909.jpeg

They have a strong reversible clip and stay in place.

light.jpg

DSCN2910.jpeg

Yeah, when I saw his I checked them out. They're made for Miller helmets.

So that got my brains wheels turning.

I bet I could see this.

Those optrel helmets are not cheap. I have several helmets, two auto darkening, but not thrilled with any of them. The auto darkening ones are my choice but could be better. Of course I have other things to deal with, I went out to weld a spare tire holder onto a trailer Sunday and discovered that my trusty MiG welder was out of commission. It was apparently damaged by a lightning strike we had a few weeks back. It took out a lot of other electronic devices... I don’t usually leave it plugged in, but did. Off to the shop. A $500.00 helmet won’t seem so expensive if I have to shell out four grand to replace my welder, lol... perspective!

Those optrel helmets are not cheap. I have several helmets, two auto darkening, but not thrilled with any of them. The auto darkening ones are my choice but could be better. Of course I have other things to deal with, I went out to weld a spare tire holder onto a trailer Sunday and discovered that my trusty MiG welder was out of commission. It was apparently damaged by a lightning strike we had a few weeks back. It took out a lot of other electronic devices... I don’t usually leave it plugged in, but did. Off to the shop. A $500.00 helmet won’t seem so expensive if I have to shell out four grand to replace my welder, lol... perspective!

Is there some kind of fuse, breaker or fusible link in there?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back