Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Limit on vBPicGalleries?

diztroy

*If this has been discussed before, please provide me with a link, Thanks*

I'm trying to add more pictures to my vBPicGallery so I can update my build thread, but I get this message when I do,

"You have exceeded the maximum number of vBPicGalleries allowed."

I only have 4 galleries with 39 pictures and all the pictures are around 100 kb. Is there a reason there is a limit? I'd like to have all the pictures with this forum because things like photobucket, Flicker, webshotes, etc. many times change webaddress (and call them an "update", ha!), someone closes down an account, or they are down and then all this forum sees are red-X's.....I personally find that really annoying, so thats why I always use a gallery if its provided.

the limit comes from hosting costs... With the number of members on this forum, the cost for an unlimited photo gallery would be quite pricey. If you are worried about losing your pictures, I would adivse on burning all of them to a cd/dvd/thumb drive... Keep them in more then one place because you never know when hardware will fail. There are many people that use different websites for picture hosting.

Hope this helps.

There's not much for me to add to this thread, other than to underscore the fact that we limit the galleries available to each member because of storage space. We try to provide each member with the ability to display a few of their favorite images, but we have to remain within the limitations established by the hosting package we purchase. Be careful to not fall into the trap of thinking that everything on the Internet is (or should be) free of limitations and free of cost.

Even though we limit image sizes, they still eat up large chunks of disk space. And it takes a bit of bandwidth to upload each picture and more bandwidth each time the picture is viewed. No matter the hosting package or the hosting company, there are limitations on how much space and how much bandwidth each account can use. Some hosting companies like to advertise multiple terabytes of storage and transfer, but it really doesn't happen at all.

We are currently running dangerously low on server resources and are preparing to make a change to get around this problem. The problem with acquiring a larger hosting package is that it comes with a larger price tag. If we can make the move that has been recommended by our host, we will have 5 times the storage space and 150% more bandwidth. This will 'only' increase our monthly hosting expense by 275%. It's just another instance of money making the world go around. Have you taken the time to visit this page - Donate to our Site :whistle:

My suggestion to anyone wanting to store images online without worry of an album site changing anything is to purchase a small, shared hosting package with a Web host and storing the images there. The company that hosts this site will provide you with 1,500 MB of storage for just $4.75/month. And before someone howls about having to actually pay for something :boohoo:, let me ask how much you spent on your last trip through the McDonald's drive-thru.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious. I run a smaller motorcycle forum (phpbb3) and we don't have any problem with storage space (because we are small), so I was just wondering if this limit was needed or just set at a default value.

Google albums it is for me! Update time! :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back