Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Longer bed

Would your friend be dove tailing it into the t Bucket body? Also that the rear axle would have to be repositioned to make the rear proportioning more pleasing to the eye. I would imagine that the 14 to 20 in. increase in bed length would require a lengthening of the wheelbase. Better ride quality though.

John

Does anyone make a 34" long bed? Not for me; for a friend switching a turtledeck.

Personally, I think that a bed closer to 30" would look better proportionally. I say this because we had planed on building a pickup for my younger son using the same exact frame that we used in building my turtle deck roadster. Below is a profile shot of my car when it was still in primer and a photoshopped version of the sort of rat rod version of a pickup that we were going to build. Measuring from where the top of the turtle deck meets the body I measure 32" and in the picture of the pickup the top of the box is in approximately the same location as where the top of the turtle deck is.

I say that you should take a good profile shot of the car with a yardstick held at the back of the body and then photoshop a bed on that picture and see where 34" would be. That way you cut out a lot of guessing and are more confident in liking the final build. Just remember that the only person that you have to please is yourself.

Jim

OOPS! Here is the profile shot of the turtle deck version.

Last edited:
I also think that the 30" would be better and I think he plans to end up somewhere in that area. Right now his turtle deck IS 34" if you can believe that.

Spirit designers have always gone for a longer wheelbase look (and probably ride) in all their cars. This particular car could be shortened up considerably (could even use a front spring over axle set up and it would almost appear stock). Doesn't always have to have a suicide front end.

And IMHO, it would look better.

John

Hello, new to the site and t-buckets.

Anyone have pics of a bucket with a 40" bed? I really like the look of long and low.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back