Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Looking for round stainless steel tank with a sender.

23 T 4sp

My tank is homemade steel. I can't even say how the fill neck is attached because its so unsafe.
Anyway i am looking at round 10x30 stainless tank with the fill on one end and a sender.
Not had any luck except for aluminum which does not seem as safe as steel.
Opinons on that side subject ?

Using aluminum; don't know about safety.

13 gas tank.jpg

PS - Ron Pope (RPM Motorsports, a sponsor) can weld you up one to your specs.

Tig weld two LARGE bungs (Larger than the sender mount) to the top for sender which you will have to shape to fit and drill holes for mounting and just weld the filler neck after shaping.

This should be done before using the tank, if not, just wash and clean before welding on it. Don't want a BOOM-BOOM.

And NOTHING is safe when it is right behind you or in front of you and acts as a bumper per-se, but not normally go BOOM if hit.

I don’t know how the sender works in a round tank. The volume is not linear as the float goes up and down.

I use a nice round dowel for my gauge in my roadster. Once you know how far a tank will get you(ya gotta run it once) you will know your limits. I drained my tank, then put a gallon in, then added another and so on, marking my stick as I added each one. My 9 gallon round tank will get me 207+ miles on a average 70mph ride.

That’s funny. I do the same thing with the dowel. I have a sending unit in the tank. It’s just not hooked up yet! One day I’ll get there.

Aluminum may not be as strong as steel, but steel will spark. At the thickness we’re comparing, neither is really safe, pick your desired weakness.

I don’t know how the sender works in a round tank. The volume is not linear as the float goes up and down.

The arm swings in an arch from top to bottom. when close to bottom, just refuel before you have to push it to the gas station.:D:D:whistling::whistling::giggle::giggle::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't know what linear has to do with liquid that finds its on level no matter whether its in a round or square or hexagon tank or tubing and the float is on top of that liquid which the arm moves up and down that sends the (signal) to the gauge that reads E-1/4-1/2-3/4-F.

Every gas tank will slosh as it corners and tilts up and down and the gauge will reflect that if you look at it when it does. That is why some tanks have baffles in them to control the sloshing. If this is the linear you are referring to.

AM NOT trying to be funny or AS but sometimes people over think these simple little cars.

Think about it. If you want the gauge to be accurate you have to consider the geometry of a round tank. It’s all geometryAs the level drops the gauge won’t read correctly. Use the stick.

... or install a sight gauge. A couple of elbows, a length of clear tubing, the bottom can tee off the fuel line bung.

I have a round aluminum tank (not operational yet) but I imagine that on my gauge when it says "F" it is completely accurate. Also, the "E" would be 100% accurate. Half tank would also be....perfect. The rest, 3/4 tank and 1/4 tank would be just something one would get used to. I have had cars that the the gauges needle seemed to "speed up" or "slow down" depending on the volume and I always assumed it was due to the tanks shape. In a perfect world with a perfectly square gas tank, you could look at the gauge and immediately know how many gallons you have in the tank based on the needle. Any other tank would take a little driving time to get used to the nuances. No biggie. So the gauge would be reading correctly since it is based on the float, the needle would just drop faster or slower and not at a steady rate like it would on a square tank.

Think about it. If you want the gauge to be accurate you have to consider the geometry of a round tank. It’s all geometryAs the level drops the gauge won’t read correctly. Use the stick.

Certainly true, and like a lot of things with these cars, we learn to adjust. I watch my gauge, and start looking for a fill-up when I reach 1/4 tank level. :cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back