Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud exhuast

rubicon

What type of baffle are you guys using in your turn outs. The ones that came with mine are way to loud for me. I have sprint style with 26" turn outs from patriot. Would like to find something with a more mellow sound than loud.

If you have the generic glas wrapped inserts in your extensions , here's what I did to "help". I formed a funnel that I welded to the center core tube to make the transition from the header to the muffler core "smoother", this took out some of the sharp RAP sound. Yhen I took a couple of pieces of 2" pipe about 8" long & cut slots in them [similar to a muzzle silencer] & welded them to the outlet end of the insert. To my ears this took out more of the "sharp" sound. I'm thinking of going to an aftermarket/larger muffler that would do away w/ the extensions all together , but that's still in the planning stage..
dave
The idea is to diffuse the exhaust pulse before it "hits/moves" the atmosphere , it's that pulse that creates the noise

Mine has glass wrapped baffles in each header tube, all eight, like motorcycle mufflers, sort of. They go in before the turn out is installed, just ahead of it. They don't look to be very hard to duplicate, and could be made as long as the header will allow.

I have the auger type insert mufflers that speedway carries, they quiet the exhaust enough that anyone in the car can have a conversation with no problem

I ditched the fiberglass wrap, and went with stainless steel, steel wool. It didn't seem to make much difference at idle, but at highway speeds made a huge improvement. Do not use regular steel wool. It will not hold up.

Someday loudness is going to be an issue with mine. For disability access reasons I will not be able to have anything passing the door, and there is no room for under car exhaust. At least as far as I know, this pretty much leaves me with baffled lakester headers or zoomies. Because whatever I do for headers will have to be custom made, the budget dictates that zoomies are the most likely. I'd have the zoomies pointed down and terminating shortly above the bottom of the frame, and do as fletcherson mentioned and put motorcycle style mufflers in each tube. Im hoping that will be sufficient to keep the neighbors from taking up pitchforks.

I plan on making baffles I just ran out of time. I worked on getting my car running and driving every spare minute I had and up until 8 last nite just to drive it to stray kat 500 today. probably 75 miles from my house. It did great but it was loud

I'd have the zoomies pointed down and terminating shortly above the bottom of the frame,

Like these?

dr_side.jpg
rear_qtr_no_plate.jpg

There is a home made baffle in each pipe. They aren't loud, but do have sort of a tinny sound. You won't get burned getting in and out though.

Like these?

dr_side.jpg
rear_qtr_no_plate.jpg

There is a home made baffle in each pipe. They aren't loud, but do have sort of a tinny sound. You won't get burned getting in and out though.
Similar. What I have planned would be about half way between your angle and vertical. Also mine would end much closer to the ground...about 6" ground clearance. What is the general design of your baffles? I'm planning on motorcycle baffles like these...
s-l500.jpg

I have tired to get some info on acoustic baffling, as this is how a lot of modern silencers work, but to no avail. There must be a way of putting correctly placed 'fences' in a 2" diameter tube to bring the noise level right down. Still looking for info, calculations etc but nothing so far. It would eliminate the need for wool packing and the inevitable repacking every now and then.

Gerry

The fiberglas packing seemed to last about a month or two. The stainless steel wool has held up for at least a year now.

What type of baffle are you guys using in your turn outs. The ones that came with mine are way to loud for me. I have sprint style with 26" turn outs from patriot. Would like to find something with a more mellow sound than loud.
I have Sanderson sprint style pipes and they sound OK with the big muffler in the turnout. I also have custom pipes with individual mufflers in each pipe:
UJ4P_rHU96XW8uXt2KR075qBkee0g4DnxVvJ-yAGMpxdykzZmuVFccALkJ6xREUe7SkrrJTEtltOAseYlRmR1YsZaSvchgqvd3y27hAj0JDfCjgv4Lyjc2XZIDSaCyF5TQvx17ViaRB0DV3HykgztaRcN48vx7GKKuiIYqsLwBCQGMv9Ak9pHn3FZzG3i3mpeQV8sBVCPM8xcoWivvw83eQg3pduH0g4y9NYnqPoux8YvcmjlOK1TVBmaM0sjrKBaqMAF-5TXqloIcslKSskZOa2NYW7fCFuJfvFkjmlOHx5j6ni4K7iYQeNZzebwSEvzSAYBMewiBKNKP69V6xarckwoU0vRfhmHox4mN7gnFd-gRURlzytn2WDrMY1Ue0WOT3TTrj47fi31i3QkpnIo6L07iWx3VOtK0ZWECNZdYxWOJYMm3LmptIbxq1vQ_cgUzKymMBMuOHVRbsKpE1I96JHjb2hgCPAiApDPCXb36i9UhMLeR8UcRp5ZoRCxyveM1HrifRWvroHWfAlcvLqaskaaDNwXcmuM3FktAy1Y7jObdNUri_vtCDPwk84tHn8ovsZnaTTR5zjIK9BC7e9340hRtSskKg=w922-h692-no

These were made by Sanderson from my sketch. 1-3/4" instead of the usual 1-5/8". I made the mufflers by cutting slots in pipe:
WhyRlvDwV88b_6aCIEXKu7RqJM7oa1ddC93X5P2m_OomVT3LpyFojPwDMQkGGNl0ztMV2aX6ITJY-pYUseNHbEenQgwEtc_SmEvMu5HgzfCDBAdXC53wJBxV6FA9eD-SvHA7zaKMngpFlPj60rissXwHiHE1tsGLxDFgrkA2NvyDwc_wVYOfaNIzfSuZkn-6Oh7Ki8mm5CE69zknxrLhaSmybyM-9sVUi6-KfTQ4EYJCYQGF5vWJspNucDHO1O4P35QLWd8suIp-QJgB65YLloV5pxGpiqY-z3olZKera8djvRbEE1o927Mp8tONgkFEU9jgcfNAs2RA91XaafgAHMoHUBu2tUTypfuZd9V0MMxizdGrNUl-Z1WXBkLs4tL-Zx9VbU8GWgE6L-gB7NgEiAMkmVEnx1WtliJ9bH-Jyx3GRVPrANTucsbBL_8aWaPIJhN65_5Y0VyQ6rxSCbT1gwfC_jMQlrXBFAuHAwtCXo5HQz5zbNi1JjtLEcg9O_96BVdaunuhzSu04rHuPtddy9efXTfQXYNy89cY_vLMpBkQuIDz3NLrRYdwktsU2O-rvLtMGM8CcgF-Xcy-6iT1mH0rh8BUja4=w986-h739-no

Then wrapped them with motorcycle packing (fiberglass). They help, but you get all 8 individual exhaust pulses, so the car sounds like 4 Harleys idling.
The Sprint pipes combine 4 pulses on each side into a single muffler, which helps blend them into a less annoying drone.
I did a bunch of muffler research a few years ago. There is not a lot we can do with our usual T pipes. A crossover pipe between the collectors ahead of the mufflers may help; it would somewhat blend all 8 pulses.
A friend added SuperTrapps to the ends of his collectors and it helps: SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back