Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud exhuast

Fred, make them extra special pretty and send us pics
When I was in welding class, our instructor who had 40 years of welding under his belt, swore by Millers and Lincolns. Our work floor was all Miller MIGs and TIGs. The two paces I worked at, before oil prices dropped, used Millers. In fact, every welder I know uses a Miller. I'm going to get a cheap Harbor Freight Lfux welder to tack my brackets in place, but I'll take everything to my friends shop and use his Miller.

I just wish I did enough welding to justify buying a machine. It would be a Miller. The technology in the newer machines is amazing. BUT, the best Millers I used, were at my first job. They had some old industrial Millers that were probably older than I am and they ran 24/7 never missing a beat.

Cost is also an issue. I don't know how much I will use the welder other than to make my own baffles. I'm sure I can come up with a few ideas. Would like to keep the cost under $800.00 I'm checking on line for reviews on migs. Still looking.

Get yourself a Miller or a Lincoln, you'll use it more than you think and wonder how you ever got by without one. Good tools are an investment!!

Found this on my PC; it's an add-on silencer for a motorcycle. Was made by Fuel Moto, but can't find it on their website now. They have lots of exhaust gadgets.
Fuel%2BMoto%2Bquiet-baffle%2Binsert.jpg

from what I understand, the goal is to slow the flow down to reduce the noise, at least with silencers. The trick with our application is to do it without impeding flow too much and reducing performance. Redirecting it also makes a big difference. I thought about trying to come up with a visually acceptable way to rout the exhaust further back so it isnt exiting right next to me. Pretty tuff to do in these cars. I thought of incorporating a cut out that would enable me to route pipe under the body and out behind the axle. It would allow the best of both with a flip of a switch. I haven't got to that stage in my build yet.

Lincoln welders all the way! I bought the 180 amp model 220 volt from Home depot. Gas welder. I have burned around fifteen 12.5# rolls of wire through it so far. It runs like the day I got it. Was right around $600 out the door. Had a 10% coupon or something my wife had. Guys will say the depot models are not as good online. I disagree it burns wire just as good as any other lincoln i have used. And I been welding my whole life for a living. Just a hobby now but I still burn a bunch of wire up. So first hand the 220volt model at home depot works wonderful. Forgot to mention. I use straight co2 for gas. Bottles are cheaper and easy to get filled and cheap to fill. 10 cubic is only $30 here last for about 2 rolls or 25 pounds of wire at around 10 psi of flow.

No Aragon? I don't go through that much, I have two big tanks, one c02arogon, 75/25, one pure Aragon for aluminum and a smaller portable one, but I like to save money... How does it shield? Quality wise.

It welds perfect. Leaves a light brown tan colored slag but only at the edges on the surface but it does not affect anything and comes off with a pass of a wire brush. So minimal you have to look for it. As for penetration. Note I am not being a dick here! There is no difference. It has been tested seven ways to sunday under very strick conditions. You can download a structural welding guide online. It will give you all the details that are followed by federal standards for buildings. They use 100% co2 all the time. Please dont anyone take offense. under your conditions when you tried co2 maybe you had better welds or penetration with mix. Everyone is different and conditions are always different. What works for one guy may not for the next. In a lab all things the exact same with only a gas change straight co2 and mix weld the same with co2 having slightly more slag.

Just sharing what I know. The poster asked for a system to weld his baffles in exhaust. Under $800 my suggested package with co2 will get him under $800 and it will weld his project perfect. Co2 versus argon/co2 mix is a bunch like chevy versus ford! Its all about what you like. Heck so is the debate Lincoln versus Miller welders!

I think its like Golddredger said, its like ford vs. chevy. I've used miller and lincoln and I like them both. I dont have a favorite, I think ones just as good as the other. As for the gas, I've never tried strait Co2 but I'm getting low on gas so I might try it.

I've been working on cutting down on the exhuast noise. This is the latest one. Seems to have reduced the noise a lot. Still louder than I would like. But way better than the glass rapped baffles I had in there. Everything is nutter together for now. May try different things to see if I can change tone as well as the loudness. Over all length is 15.5 inches.

Attachments

• 20170904_135456.jpg
    20170904_135456.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 61
You put some effort into that! Do you notice any reduction in performance due to reduced flow? I too tire of loud cars, bikes, etc... love the sound of a performance engine, but not loud, like I did in my youth. I am considering incorporating cut outs and mufflers piped under and back. I'm not to that point yet. I really like the sound of my iroc. It has three inch back into flowmasters and exit the rear stock locations with turn downs so the sound is directed towards the ground. It sounds good, can hear the cam, etc, but it's not annoying to drive.

I've been working on cutting down on the exhuast noise. This is the latest one. Seems to have reduced the noise a lot. Still louder than I would like. But way better than the glass rapped baffles I had in there. Everything is nutter together for now. May try different things to see if I can change tone as well as the loudness. Over all length is 15.5 inches.
It looks like your setup is tuneable by adding/removing those baffles, or spacing them differently. Am I correct?

It looks like your setup is tuneable by adding/removing those baffles, or spacing them differently. Am I correct?
The 15.5" length is the max it can be. Right now I have the baffles equally spaced. I'm thinking about making more rings and removing the last section of 2" pipe and replacing with 3 or 4 rings equally spaced. This would allow the gases to expand as it passed each ring before it hits the last baffle. That will happen in the winter.

You put some effort into that! Do you notice any reduction in performance due to reduced flow? I too tire of loud cars, bikes, etc... love the sound of a performance engine, but not loud, like I did in my youth. I am considering incorporating cut outs and mufflers piped under and back. I'm not to that point yet. I really like the sound of my iroc. It has three inch back into flowmasters and exit the rear stock locations with turn downs so the sound is directed towards the ground. It sounds good, can hear the cam, etc, but it's not annoying to drive.
As far as performance I can't say. I was having trouble with the car before I made this change to the exhaust. I'm more interested in cutting down on the loud noise. I like the rumble but not the ear pounding I was getting. Because of the short distance we get to work with, it will never sound like a flowmaster and be easy on the ears.

From what I understand about exhaust noise, and it's admittedly not much, the key is to slow the exhaust down without obstructing it. That's why the big exhaust guys build mufflers with chambers, chambered pipes and crossovers, etc... it's the speed of the exiting exhaust gas that reportedly causes the noise. Sort of like a sonic boom. So on something like a T bucket with short exhaust, it's an uphill battle from the start, very limited space to work with and short pipes.

I bought my header system from SPEEDWAY with their muffler that fit inside the "exhaust pipe" portion of the set up. It has been quiet enough that my wife and I can communicate without having to yell and still be able to hear very well. It still has that nice "powerful rumble" under acceleration but not real loud and ignorant sounding. IMHO

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back