Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud exhuast

I know this suggestion will probably go over like a lead ballon, butttttt....... , would it look totally awful to use a quality made turbo muffler that is internally packed and would be a lot quieter.
And I emphasize the term quality, not one of those Summit tin cans.
I saw a picture of one of Ted Browns Ts that had school bus mufflers hung on either side and had to have been put there for quiet motoring. Didn't look too bad.

Si o no? Let's discuss, Juan

P.S. The longer the muffler the quieter they are. Look in the muffler catalogs. See how long an oval muffler you could install that didn't disrupt the esthetics. Maybe photoshop different lengths of muffler to get the look you would want.
Check with the race muffler manufacturers to see what they offer in different sizes and lengths and if they could devise or even make a custom pair of mufflers that would definitely be quieter and would last.

Last edited:
I guess I'm stupid, but I still like the loud pipes :confused:! 'Course, I take my hearing aids out when I drive the bucket, too!:roflmao::p:laugh:

So.... just how loud, is loud? Has anyone put a meter on their car or is all this for personal reasons? I remember, I ran my old car without inserts once, just to see how loud it was. My neighbor walked over and want to know if it was going to be like that all the time. That's when I knew I'd need inserts.

So.... just how loud, is loud? Has anyone put a meter on their car or is all this for personal reasons? I remember, I ran my old car without inserts once, just to see how loud it was. My neighbor walked over and want to know if it was going to be like that all the time. That's when I knew I'd need inserts.

Yeah...I think that was a good telltale right there! LoL
I like a good sound, but not an excessively loud good sound.
To that end I sliced and spliced two cherrybombs together per side on my big block T. I'm told it sounds good and most times the sound isn't too crazy...unless you really get on it of course.
With the engine and pipes completely outside it's a bit difficult to get anything whisper quiet anyway.

Is it too loud, or are we getting too old??? Growing up, I liked many loud things, now I like them a bit less noisy... the fart canned Hondas and big twin bikes with open pipes annoy me. I like the sound of the bikes less noisy, not the grocery getters at all. I live in a semi rural area close to a lake with bars, beaches, etc, and in the summer, on the weekends, everyone comes out this way to play and it seems like they run from one end of the lake to the other, past my house, of course... I'm also on a big curve, so they slow down and re accelerate right here.... it's not bad unless we try to sit on the front porch that faces the road.....I'm sure silence it over rated, lol!

I've lost enough of my hearing working in a machine shop. I would like to keep what is left so I don't have to read my wife lips to tell she is yelling at me. LOL

I took the approach of wanting a short style exhaust extension, to alleviate the weight of longer extensions, which exerts damaging torque on the header welds where they bolt to the head. I've seen several sets of headers that had cracked welds due to this. (Yes, I know of some who add a support piece from the extension to the frame below the door, but I don't like the way those look!) So, using the shorty extensions/kickouts with open pipes - no baffles - like a number of my friends do was an option, but I wanted to quiet it down some to appease my wife/neighbors. So, I put the short 7" muffler inserts up inside the collectors, and then used the shorty kickouts. Works well for me - somewhat loud but not obnoxious, and should be easier on the header welds.
T-Bucket12a.jpg Kickouts.jpg Inserts.jpg

Rubicon, have you seen these from Car Chemistry? I ran across them on Summit's site.

For 2.0", 2.25", 2.5", 3.0", 3.5", 4.0" and 4.5" pipes.

insert.jpg

Rubicon, have you seen these from Car Chemistry? I ran across them on Summit's site.

For 2.0", 2.25", 2.5", 3.0", 3.5", 4.0" and 4.5" pipes.

View attachment 13980
Yes I have. It would be nice to know just how load they are. I ordered a decibel meter should have it by the end of the week. I'll fined out how load mine are now and when I make changes, did that change do anything. So far the bafgles I made are way better than what I had. I still want to improve them.

Checked how loud my car is today. At idle, 800 to 900 rpms, 83 to 86 decibels. At 2000 rpms 96 to 102 decibels. Anything over 85 is not good for your ears. This is sitting in the driveway.

Good to know.

I held the meter at ear level in front of me so I could read the meter. Did that on both sides of the T. Then raised the rpms to 2000 and repeated the process. Going down the road I would have to add road noise from the tires and wind noise. I'm more interested in how loud my exhaust is. That's something I can change. Changing the direction of the sound waves can make a big difference. I have a couple of ideas I will work on.

I have become addicted to my iPod. I have it loaded with music that I enjoy, nothing else. The ear buds are the good ones that go in my ears and have quality sound, they block unwanted traffic, wind, exhaust noise. I wear them in my drop tops, my bikes, tractor, mower... I know, reliving my teen stage, lol...

Pointing them down will help a little. You know, one could look at motorcycle type baffles for design ideas if you can't find anything that suits you. My 427 has baffles in each header tube, four on each header. They are similar to motorcycle baffles with glass wrapped around them. I will consider adding one in the collector as well if needed to make it comfortable to drive on the street. I still like the idea of cutouts and a secondary exhaust routed undernieth back beyond the axle and ears.

I have a set of patriot side pipes from speedway......I thought I liked loud, but there is a point! When I romp on it, I think they could hear me in Florida.....I live in Wisconsin! They are loud!! I may need to look into different baffles.......

I have a set of patriot side pipes from speedway......I thought I liked loud, but there is a point! When I romp on it, I think they could hear me in Florida.....I live in Wisconsin! They are loud!! I may need to look into different baffles.......

Did you use the baffle inserts Speedway has for them? I had that same set up and found the tone very tolerable.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back