Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud exhuast

Wife & I have been wearing ear plugs [the orange ones on a lanyard] , really helps w/ the exhaust & wind noise ..talked to a state trooper about using them , he couldn'tthink of a reason not to use 'em ...

Wife & I have been wearing ear plugs [the orange ones on a lanyard] , really helps w/ the exhaust & wind noise ..talked to a state trooper about using them , he couldn'tthink of a reason not to use 'em ...
When you talked to the Trooper, was that by choice? Inquisitive minds want to know. lol

I took the approach of wanting a short style exhaust extension, to alleviate the weight of longer extensions, which exerts damaging torque on the header welds where they bolt to the head. I've seen several sets of headers that had cracked welds due to this. (Yes, I know of some who add a support piece from the extension to the frame below the door, but I don't like the way those look!) So, using the shorty extensions/kickouts with open pipes - no baffles - like a number of my friends do was an option, but I wanted to quiet it down some to appease my wife/neighbors. So, I put the short 7" muffler inserts up inside the collectors, and then used the shorty kickouts. Works well for me - somewhat loud but not obnoxious, and should be easier on the header welds.
View attachment 13957 View attachment 13958 View attachment 13959

Hey Spanky, sorry for my absence from the board....life got in the way. Anyhow...I'm back and need your advice on the muffler stuff since we are running pretty much the same set up. First....any suggestions to get the old inserts out? Secondly...if I read your post correctly...are you referring to these 7 inchers?
Patriot Exhaust H3842 Side Tubes Muffler Insert, 3-1/2 Inch

any suggestions to get the old inserts out? Secondly...if I read your post correctly...are you referring to these 7 inchers?
Patriot Exhaust H3842 Side Tubes Muffler Insert, 3-1/2 Inch

Put some 50/50 (50% ATF/50% acetone) down inside the extension to loosen the muffler that's already in there. Then try to drive it loose with a suitable ram (I used an old baseball bat). And, yes, those are the little mufflers I used for mine. :D

Inserts.jpg

Thanks Spanky, As far as removal, I'm gonna have to get creative...the muffler is stuck in the header...not the extension.

Thanks Spanky, As far as removal, I'm gonna have to get creative...the muffler is stuck in the header...not the extension.
I use a slide hammer to get mine out. Just make a hook out of a piece of rod or all-thread and attach it to the end of the slide hammer rod.

I have a big block ford fe in my t-bucket with Sanderson headers. I haven't had any mufflers in my headers for thirteen years . They sound better than the stereo that I used have in it..Everyone has their own opinion as to what they like.

Put some 50/50 (50% ATF/50% acetone) down inside the extension to loosen the muffler that's already in there. Then try to drive it loose with a suitable ram (I used an old baseball bat). And, yes, those are the little mufflers I used for mine. :D

View attachment 14908

Hey Spanky, I got some dumb questions....I got the new headers (covered with AHC)...they look great. And, I bought the new inserts. So, here's the questions...1) it looks like they are covered with aluminum foil which is held in place by masking tape...I take it I don't remove the aluminum foil (I am asking because of the masking tape) and 2) are they directional? The caps on the ends make me think yes but...just not sure. Thanks!

There's no dumb questions, only dumb answers!:rolleyes:

Yes, leave the foil on; it will help the packing stay in place. And directional . . . I inserted them so the little internal 'louvers' were facing upstream to catch some of the sound waves in the exhaust flow. ;) PS - I had to lightly grind a little off the end caps so they would fit inside the collectors, a tight fit.

So, new headers on, inserts installed. There was no way mine would fit with the louvers facing upstream. In that orientation that flange would require significant modification to get it to go in. So, I installed with louvers facing downstream. I put a very light coat of wheel bearing grease on the flange and inside the collector and with a light touch of a rubber mallet got them installed. Just waiting for the rain here to clear up to fire it up. Thanks for all the advice!!

So, new headers on, inserts installed. There was no way mine would fit with the louvers facing upstream. In that orientation that flange would require significant modification to get it to go in. So, I installed with louvers facing downstream. I put a very light coat of wheel bearing grease on the flange and inside the collector and with a light touch of a rubber mallet got them installed. Just waiting for the rain here to clear up to fire it up. Thanks for all the advice!!
Let us know how they sound.

Sounds good. Mine is about that loud without the muffler inserts. How loud is it without the inserts?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back