Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud side pipes and maybe a solution

23 T 4sp

AA63941D-C35F-4EB1-8D01-43957B9D708F.jpeg 1F34292F-FDA9-4AC1-B627-2D795A0DF7E7.jpeg This is just for information to anyone with the same
Situation.
SBF 289 with a more than mild cam.
26” patriot side pipes with inserts does not provide
much in DB reduction. After looking all over for
something I decided to try augers.
Dynatech 776-24352 11 x 3 1/2
These are 3.23” in diameter
Cutting some off was needed. Inserted them right in the collectors. They did have a tight fit but needed turned to find it. Then tapped with a hammer.
89 DB at the exhaust exit now ! (Forgot to measure before) you could not talk before while it was running.

You can drill 1/2" or so holes through the spiral blades of those to reduce the resistance without much of an increase in the sound level.

Always wondered what the augers sound like.
On my T I wanted it a bit quieter so I pulled the speedway slip-on's and combined two bullet mufflers on each side. (Sliced, diced and welded into one long bullet on each side.)
I made a cover wrap of stainless to hide the painted mufflers and used stainless band clamps to hold the cover in place.
The rear clamp also holds the shortened chrome turn out AND gave a place to attach the hangers I made from 1940's Chevy lever shock arms.
Worked pretty good...but obviously a lot more work was involved...and I still wondered how augers would sound! LOL 46521400_10156642883015115_4160290736643768320_o.jpg

I'm guessing that it now sounds like a '60s Vette with side pipes. Love that sound!

Side pipes.jpg

Is that 89 DB at Idle? How load are they at cruising speed?
I did some testing for loudness after I built some headers. I ran three tests .....
- No Baffle or restriction of any type, open header
- Auger style baffle only
- Baffle wrapped in SS wool

I think it would be hard to test while cruising, the wind noise would be a big
part of the db rating.

Header Design Build

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back