Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

Last night I did some work on my windshield frame too. Sorry no pictures. I'll get some tonight. As I said before, my body and the posts don't fit well together. So I have a big gap to fill. I've read that you goober some Durabond(or your favorite filler) on the body and then push the posts onto it. I was going to do that but I also wanted to have both posts and the frame together as one piece so I was sure that everything would line up once I was done. Problem was, with it all as one piece, if I were to do it the above mentioned way, the post would scrape off a lot of the filler when I slid the whole unit down on.
What I decided to do was to take a book out of my mothers wedding cake baking days. Should would use a bag full of icing with a hole in the corner, and a fancy tip, and squeeze the icing out onto the cake to decorate it. I figured I could do the same thing with filler. So I set the whole unit onto the body, secured it where I wanted and began mixing filler. Then threw it in a gallon size ziplock bag with the corner cut out and used it to squeeze the filler into the gap between the body and the posts. I will be pulling it apart tonight and I'll get some pictures for you all. Finger crossed for a good outcome!!

Looks nice. The burr isnt good. Even though the filter would catch it, it could get caught in the line and obstruct. Do you like the material thickness, etc? I also like that they include a sump. A must for fuel injection, but would be nice for carbs too, the sump would prevent fuel starvation and vapor lock due to slosh and could act like a water trap for cars that spend time in storage, like mine. Just install a pitcock in the return hole, and check it before firing up for the season. Looks like a nice tank!

Fletcherson - I think the thickness will be good. I haven't measured it, but the tank is light. Shouldn't see any abuse though. The welds all look real nice and the tank overall looks good. I'm satisfied with it and would get another from them if needed. That is of course if it doesn't leak...
Those were my exact thoughts on the burr. I need to get it out. The sump was a bit extra to get. You cant get the tank with that and a few other options. Or you can get it without for a little less money. I was happy that I could get a 12" tank with a sump. I've talked to a few other companies and they were the only one that could do it for me. The other companies were limited to a 10" tank.

Use cling film (sarin or something in the USA) under/wrapped around each post. Let the filler go off and remove. Simples....

Gerry - I used packing tape and a little wax. Should see the same result. I'm just curious if I actually got the gap to fill in nice with piping it in the way I did.

Brown packing tape is as good as anything. You should be good to go.

So here is what I found under my posts last night.

Drivers Side
Post Mount Start 2.jpg

Passenger Side
Post Mount Start 3.jpg

Needless to say this was perfect but it was exactly what I needed. I got enough filler on that so that I could slide the posts on and they would on go on the right way. So I could do the tried and true method by putting a bunch of filler on it and sliding the post on to fill in the rest of the gap and the post would go on just as I needed it to so everything was straight and square.

So that is what I did. Some quick scuffing, then round two of filling the gap. I will see what it looks like tonight.
Mounting Posts.jpg

I also had a friend over who likes to take pictures. So this is evidence that I actually do work on this thing and stuff doesn't magically happen on its own.

A little fuel tank mock up. I'm working on some brackets to weld on the frame for bolting it on.
Also still working on the windshield frame little by little. I'll have to get some pics of where I am at now with it...
Fuel Tank Mocked Up.jpg

If you haven't already thought about it some webbing between the tank and the straps is a good idea. Old seat belts work well....

I got the mounts for the tank tacked on. Sitting flush with the top of the frame, I cannot slide a piece of paper between the sump and the rear end housing when the suspension is fully squatted. I'm going to make some spacers to lift it up a bit. Do you guys think that 1/2" is enough clearance. Clearance on the send and return bungs is good...

Gerry - I think a 1" ratchet strap should work prefect for isolating the tank from the mounting straps. I may even be able to get my wife to sew the two ends together so that it is one continuous loop and put the seem somewhere where there is a little more space.

I have that tank in a 10 x 33, wasn't sure about width when I ordered, but it looks good on yours so Ill be OK lol

JeffK - I made a cardboard fuel tank with the dimensions I thought I wanted to be sure about sizing before I ordered. Who did you get yours from?

Good thinking, because seat belts would need to be cut down. Funny thing is, I have some yellow ratchet straps to put between the body and chassis, and totally forgot about them until your reply.

Gerry - I think a 1" ratchet strap should work prefect for isolating the tank from the mounting straps. I may even be able to get my wife to sew the two ends together so that it is one continuous loop and put the seem somewhere where there is a little more space.

JeffK - I made a cardboard fuel tank with the dimensions I thought I wanted to be sure about sizing before I ordered. Who did you get yours from?
Sandstorm.....aka spunaluminumgastanks.com

Holy man. It’s been two years since I posted. A lot has happened that doesn’t involve this project. Got moved from PA to Texas for work. Still working on getting my garage set up so I can properly work in it but this Texas summer heat is kind of a bear. Been working on finding some motivation to get back on it!

Holy man. It’s been two years since I posted. A lot has happened that doesn’t involve this project. Got moved from PA to Texas for work. Still working on getting my garage set up so I can properly work in it but this Texas summer heat is kind of a bear. Been working on finding some motivation to get back on it!

Just hang out here and watch as the other builds progress . . . . the bug'll bite you soon enough

If anyone is in or around the Houston/Katy area and knows something about titling I’d appreciate some advice. Since I moved to Texas from PA, I guess I’m playing with a new set of rules now and I have yet to find a really good resource.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back